Thread: record locking

record locking

Does anyone know how to keep Access 2k2 from locking the records when you open it? I've been trying to make my database multiuser, and I've been told by reliable people that it can do this out of the box. However, no matter what I try to do, no matter how many different ways I try to open it, it always locks the files and doesn't let anyoen else open it. Anyone got any secrets or tricks they can share with me please?

Brandon
    -=can you hear me now? ... Good!=-

Open Access database - Click on Tools- Options- Advanced - "Default Mode" - Shared

here's a question, is it possible that the server folder has filesharing turned off? Cus I think thats the problem.

If you are doing it programmatically, you can set the locking mode to "optimistic".

If you are putting that in network then the share should be open to all or to the groups who needs to access it

ok, two things:
    1) the difference between pesamestic and optimistic is that pesimistic assumes that the users are pin heads and will cause errors, and optimistic assumes every user in an expert and wont cause any data corruption

2) is it a good idea to use optimistic for business applications and if so how would one go about adding that into his code?

Nope. Good way of doing it is do not allow users to make mistake or corrupt your data. Always think Users are stupid or smart ass (guys who wants to find bugs). for example.

in a Text field assigned for a date, do not allow users to type anything else other than date and also with date range.

In a numeric field dont allow them to type text.

If all the fields are not completed do not allow that records to be added or deleted.