Thread: Unwanted Parameters

Question Unwanted Parameters

Intermediate user of Access (Version 97). I have a database of names, addresses, phone numbers, member codes, etc. The file was created in 1990 and has had additions and deletions of records and shared with users that have version 2000 (but save as 97 to share with me following updates).

I have a YES/NO field named "Print?" When this is checked, and criteria is set to YES, only those names that meet the criteria appear in my query. From this query I do reports including labels - using the wizard. I have done this process many times before without a problem. I am attempting to create address labels (Avery 6460) using the wizard based on this "print?" query. When I complete the NEW process, the system presents a dialog box requesting that I ENTER THE PARAMETER VALUE "Trim".

HELP! I did not request nor set a parameter nor do I know what it "really wants". How do I get my labels to display and print? I have not had this problem before and can't get past it to get my labels. I'd appreciate some insight and a resolution.

AiWrite
    Los Angeles, CA

Trim is more than likely referring to the reserved word Trim used to trim possible leading or trailing spaces around fields/variables.

This suggests that probably in a query it is being used incorrectly and thus you are being asked to enter it as a parameter. Check each field in the relevant queries for the word trim. It could be in the criteria part of the query hence the prompt to enter it.

Trim Parameter

Thank you Knookie. I have looked at the database and there are no keywords "trim" in the text.
    More specifically, When I use the Label Wizard and request the label size, it allows me to select the fields from the query that will prompt to the label. After they are selected the wizard quickly shows the label's design view shows my selections [field names] and it says:
    =Trim([Member Number]&[Member Code])
    =Trim([First Name]&""&[Last Name])
    =Trim([Address])
    =Trim([City]&"'"&[State]&[Zip Code])

Following the "flash" preview of the design, the dialog box presents asking for the Trim parameter. This has not been happening before and it is curious to me that Access would be asking now. I am wondering if it has something to do with version 2000 as the person that is now using the database is using this version, but saves it for me in 97 so that I can manipulate it for her.

In between writing this I discoverd that if I import the data into a new database the problem corrects itself. What a pain... but at least it is working correctly now.
    Thanks for your suggestion!