Thread: switchboards and passwords

switchboards and passwords

Hey all, once again I have a question(yeah i know, big suprise right?) I have a switch board and one of the buttons is manager options. Basicly all I want to do is come up with a way to set a password on that one option. I have tried several things with VBA and a few other more creative and even less sucessful attempts using queries, macros, and one thing involving a monkey and a spatchula.

Anyone have any ideas?

Brandon
    -=sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand=-

Option Compare Binary
    Option Explicit

Private Sub Form_Open(Cancel As Integer)

Const PASSWORD = "brunette"

Cancel = Not (Me.OpenArgs = PASSWORD)

End Sub

docmd.OpenForm "frmPassword",,,,,,"Brunette" should fail.

To open the form you'll need to get the password off the users and use it in the

docmd.openform "frmManager",,,,,, strPassword

If you're not using an mde then what you are doing will be ridiculously easy to crack, but hey, most users won't have the motivation to do so.

Even with an mde someone with a hex editor may be able to find the password.

If you are using JET security you are better of making another group called managers and checking to see if the currentuser() is a member of that group.

Be careful with the monkey, they can be vicious little creatures when provoked.

Peter

thanks for the sudgestions, I think it makes sense, but only time will tell. And were not so much worried about people getting behind the security, the changes will be logged and well see them, and if myself or my boss didnt do them, well know someone has been playing. Least ways, that is, if I can get the code knocked out to track all the changes ...

Oh, and one more question along the same lines Ill ask so as not to be forced to make a new thread: Anyone know off the top of their head how to set a switchboard to open in maximize mode?

Brandon
    -=sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand=-
    Last edited by BMan111; 06-30-2003 at 07:30 AM.

DoCmd.Maximize in the activate event no good ?

tried that, didnt work, looked again after you said that, ill be damned if i didnt spell it wrong. :P