Thread: Basic MS Access Filter Help Requested

Lightbulb Basic MS Access Filter Help Requested

Just found this site today and I like it already. Hope to use this place as a valued resource in the future!

Ok...

This may be simple to most here, but I simply cannot find what I am looking for.

I am no expert in MS Access or VB or SQL.
    I simply create databases to simplify life.

What I am looking to do is provide an easy way to filter data based on a table.

I currently right click my form and choose "Filter By Form" and apply it and it works exactly how I want it to.

What I want to do is to make a pop-up type form (I am guessing) that will allow a user to simply type a specific value in that they want to filter for in a particular column in a single table and display all the matching records on the form
    If I can get that, I should be good to figure the rest out.

What I want this 'filter form' to do, is to take away the need for the user to type Like, Or and And, etc.

Does that make sense?

The table has about 300 entries and each column is "NOTE"(string?) based and contains Hexadecimal Values in some columns. The data to be searched for would be like:

0E FF
    and may require wild cards at times (*0EFF*)

I hope that makes sense...

All I expect is a pointer or a link to a good reference to read on the subject of filtering dynamically. Again, I am no expert and I don't wanna say I 'play-around' with dbs, but that is really it. I just like them, but still real new at it, thought I have been playing with msaccess for years. Awesome stuff.
    Love learning new things...

Anyway, any thoughts, pointer or help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

GREAT SITE by the way.
    Fourms are great!

good work KnooKie and all!
    Last edited by aCd; 06-15-2003 at 01:18 PM.

hi there

I've not looked to see if there is anything to help your problem here but this is a very good site for all things Access.

http://www.mvps.org/access/forms/index.html

My thoughts on your problem.....

Rather than have a pop-up form can you put the search boxes in the form header. Then if the form is bound to a parameterized query (queries with [] parameters in their criteria part) you could apply whatever the user has entered to the parameters (including wildcards*)and requery the form.

Depends hoe important the OR and AND parts are, may not be feasible.

P.