Thread: exporting in SQL 7.0....again

Angry exporting in SQL 7.0....again

I have been having an ongoing problem now related to exporting documents from SQL. Fortunately this forum has been a great help in providing guidance however the problem remains, not due to the advice but the ISP i've been working with has recently advised me that the reason my script isn't working is because they are not running SQL server 2000 as I had asked but SQL 7.0. So I'm back at square one. Rather than move everything I'd like to solve this problem and leave it on the SQL server 7.0. All I want to do is export some data from a table on a nightly basis for records meeting certain criteria (I have written the query already) I need the data to be ideally exported as xml though an excel file would be fine and I need the file name to have the date appended. The activeX script I used previously worked fine in SQL2000 but does not work in 7.0. I have sucessfully managed to create a DTS package to export as excel but I don't know how to deal with the date issue.

Pleeeaasse help this is driving me mad now. I'm sure it should have been easier.

What's the error you get?

Can't you dynamically create the file name using VBScript?

unfortunately I don't know vb script, I am getting to grips with SQL2000 at the moment. However I would be interested in learning if you could point me in the right direction.

Regards my problem I have managed to solve it by scheduling a DTS package to create the excel file and then scheduling a stored procedure to rename the file using the xp_cmdshell proc. I'm pretty sure this is not the most efficient way to solve the problem so if you can suggest something better it would be greatly appreciated.