Thread: different login & SQL console root .....

different login & SQL console root .....

Logged on local Administrator on one of my sqlserver 2000 "ABC" and registered 5 sql groups and linked 50 sql2k servers from MSDE to Standare (all sp3).
    Now, I need a different login on this machine "ABC", how could I get back all the SQL Enterprise Manager Console Root Setting and connections like before?

thanks
    David

Don't think so, have to register servers for new windows user.

Copy

C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\Binn\SQL Server Enterprise Manager.MSC

file while logged in as your original user to a different location, log in as new user and overwrite the file.

Never tried but may work

Info for registered servers are saved in current user hive in registry, and all windows users use same .msc file.

I have tried to copy
    <<SQL Server Enterprise Manager.msc>> file from the old login and overwrite to the tools\binn with the new login.

But the SQL enterprise manager actually only presented the default local group instead of previous 5 groups and 50 registered servers.

Thank for your kind response.
    -David

Open EM and choose Tools from the MMC menu bar, go to Options. There is an option "Read/Store User Independent" which is checked by default. Uncheck it and your registered servers should be stores in "All Users" instead of "Current User".

If this does not work for replicating existing registrations you can still hack the registry:

Export HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\SQLEW\Registered Servers X\SQL Server Group
    while logged in with the old user

and import the registry file after having logged in as the new user.

Neither of them work in sql2k em since registry key is encrypted.

Ooops, have not tried it i must admit.

Are you sure that even the first option in EM does not do the job?

re-new all registered servers from console...

I have tried the EM Console-->Tools-->Options--> unchecked "Read/Store user independently" under Read/Store Locally option.
    the result is all 5 groups gone and left no groups there. Thus, have to rechecked box of "Read/Store user independently".

Just think there got to have a way to do so, those smart guys who developped MMC for sql2k should have a better way than in the registry, since these are just part of the interface!?

thanks
    David

It's confirmed by Microsoft that you can't do that with sql2k em for security reason.

Still Not Give Up Yet.....

thanks rmiao, with Microsoft and your conformation, it is time to 'give up'...

The last effort: Is there a way to generate the script for all 50 servers registration?

In another word, instead of registering a remote server via EM, could it be registered via Tran-SQL? Thus, we could run the script any time with any different logins!

-D

You can't register sql server with t-sql, it's nothing to do with database.