Thread: log shipping to 2 different servers

log shipping to 2 different servers

Currently we run log shipping to a standby server located at the same site as the production. We currently move the 2 most important databases every 5 minutes. Everything works fine. We are now being asked to also create a standby server at remote site (we should have a high speed connection to this site). Is it possible or has anyone tried to do log shipping to 2 different servers? Can you log ship from a prod server - to a standby server - and then from there to another stand-by server?

Should be able to define multiple target servers.

Since standby server is in read only mode you can't have it generate transaction logs and ship it to another server.

I have not done this but I think it is possible to create a second standby server from the main server. That is

log shipping from server A to server B, Server A to Server C.

Tim,

I have setup log-shipping from 1 production server to 2 secondary servers (one on the local LAN the other over a VPN link). It works really well. The only issue is the transmission time of large transaction logs. Even when dumping every 5 minutes if user does a large INSERT, UPDATE or re-index you can end up with a pretty bit transaction log file.

When setting up a new secondary I find it best to backup the production database, zip it up and copy/restore it to the seconday site.

Good luck!