Thread: Add copy button and default values

Add copy button and default values

When you default a field on the add action like a date to now() and you use the copy button on the add, the default date is not overwritten by the copied record data.

Shouldn't the copy button overwrite all default data?

this is a case where you can win or lose on either side of the argument. Mine is - If the fields is set to 'today' then it should stay 'today'so you can modify the rest of the data and hit submit.

Frank

Typicaly you set defaults on records with no data whatsoever, in my opinion if you use the copy button, it should not be up to the Tornado to determine which fieldds should be copied or not. Every field should be copied regarless. If I copy records in Access, it does not change the data on the fields that have a default value, only fields with null values will default.

The problem I have to the way it is implemented, is that a large majority of new records are cloned from other records, the dates also needs to be cloned and because they default to today, I cannot use the default on null dates in new records that are entered from scratch. I am forced to have the users type a date on new records even though the date on the record needs to be today.

Let me look at this issue closer...

FK

Could we have something like a DefaultOnCopy = true statement. This would accomodate both camps.

Yes, I tested with a switch and it works ... easy enough. I'll do more testing to make sure it does nto break anything.

FK