Thread: MS SQL Server and Sybase on same server ?

MS SQL Server and Sybase on same server ?

Does any of you have experiences with Sybase and MS SQL server installed on the same server ? I prefere to keep our servers "clean" with HW dedicated to MS SQL, but one of our sites has installed both db engines on same server, and are having problems. Could you help me with arguments ?

With each database in its own server you can allocate all resources to that database, in a mixed environment you have to make sure that one does not starve another database for resources.

Also, a lot depends on type of applications hitting the database. If both are CPU or I/O intensive then you have a massive bottleneck.

Another minor thought is executables that are the same for both Sybase and MSSQL Server. 'isql' exists both in MSSQL Server (legacy ) and Sybase. bcp would be included as well, and there are probably a number of other ones i haven't mentioned.

Care would have to be taken to ensure you are 'hitting' the proper server when using these utilities. And since Sybase and MSSQL Server share a common past (and still are similiar in many ways), confusion could result if a person is not careful.

Jim