Thread: ASP Database and user input MS FrontPage

ASP Database and user input MS FrontPage

I am building a webpage using MS FrontPage 2002, XP Professional and MS Office XP professional. I'm a newbie, clearly not a professional.

The site will build a community of teachers. I want to implement an ASP DB of teacher profiles (name, e-mail etc..).

This would be much like a personals or date page. I have a form for teachers to input data. The form is connected to the DB in FronPage2002 (simple wizard) but;

How do teachers update their specific record/profile. Is this automatic when they log in?

The MS Knowlege Base said that I can only secure a sub web and not individual records. Can someone please
    explain how this works

How do I keep the teacher profile secure so that only the teacher can update their own profile?

Any help would be great!
    Robert

ASP-db is a product to generate DB apps using ASP and ASP.Net. IF you use Front Page to doa job like you described then your chance is not good at all.

FK

Hi Robert,

To add on to what Frank said, if you do it with FrontPage, you'll be very limited in what you can do. As you've seen already, security and creating input forms are a couple things you'll have to "write for yourself", and all the database parts can get very complicated.

The easy way is to build a database in MS Access, then let ASP-db do all the work for you. We have hundreds of examples online that you can browse and "copy" to get you started. Check out the example gallery for Tornado at www.aspdb.com, or the other examples at www.aspdbtest.com. One of those is probably close to what you're after.

Even with a tool like ASP-db which will do the display, searching, sorting, and data entry forms for you, you'll still have to do some programming. You'll have to decide who's allowed to enter data, and possibly put a password on that page or at least hide the name of that page. You may also wish to only let people edit only their own data, but let an administrator edit everyone's data. All this can (and has) been done with ASP-db. Without it, it's a many-month long custom programming project that would cost tens of thousands of dollars to have it written. With ASP-db, it can be up-and-running in a few days, instead. Additionally, you'll have a polished looking application (using the built-in skins) that looks like you paid a graphic artist "big bucks" to develop it!

Hope this gets you started and interested. Oh, by the way, if you need it, we have a support team that can help you with all steps of this operation. In fact, they can write the whole application for you (for a fee of course). Contact us at support@aspdb.com for more information if you're interested.

Thanks for your interest,
    John
    ASP-db Support