Thread: need input please

need input please

Hi guys. I need some feedback please. I'm looking at a product called AutoDBA. It's a Database Management tool that has similar features to other products in the marketi.e. reporting, drill-down capabilities, notification and tuning. It also has a feature called Auto-Solve that will allow automation to discover and repair problems such as storage and extent management, chaining and object rebuilds as well as analyzing the data. Once a problem is discovered, PL/SQL scripts are generated and can be automatically executed or I can implement them myself.

What I'd like to know is what if any experiences you've had with these type of tools and what your general feelings are.

Thanks in advance for your time !

You will get your answer using following link....

http://www.insession.com/autoDBA/default.asp

ashdiip

Not True

Thanks for your input but that isn't the answer. I do work for Insession but we don't own AutoDBA. A company called Senware does. I'm trying to speak to the professionals who really know whether or not a product like this is of value and/or what the concerns are. I am truthfully looking at the product for validation purposes. Any professional input is greatly valued !

Cool

In my humble experience it is better to understand what code you will be running on your database before trusting a generically created pl/sql procedure from a software package. Although the software may be fantastic, if you don't understand what is happening you may run the risk of changing things that you don't really want to.

My advice would be to read more on the day to day workings of DBA Administration and have a thourough understanding of what you are trying to accomplish. Once you've gotten comfortable with the actions that can be permitted then and only then would I venture to test run the generic code from your chosen software application.

Will

Thanks you wgr !

Thanks wgr. That's the kind of thing I'm looking for. I'm not the expert you guys are and you guys are the only ones I will trust when it comes to input. I want to thank you and all for your time. I know you are busy and I appreciate you taking time to help me out !!

Wink

No problem. Hope it helps.