Thread: Unicode problem

Unicode problem

Hi All,

i am having a problem re-configuring a database after restoring SQL Server from backup.

I am getting the error:

Warning: Unicode language locale 2057 in database differs from server Unicode language locale of 1033

Can anyone tell me how to change this.

Cheers

Colin

Since your SQL server is 7.0 server , and if that is the only database you are having in the server that you are restoring, then you have to rebuild your master and change the collation that match your backup.

execute
    sp_helpsort

on the source and destination server and then rebuild the master.

Hi MAK,

thanks for your reply, i have done what you suggested and after running'

execute
    sp_helpsort

It showed me that indeed the locale was 1033. Could you tell me how to change it to 2057 I no longer have access to the source server, only the new server.

Many thanks

Colin

remember if there are other databases in that server then you cannot use those databases after changing the collation.

execute rebuildm.exe from the CD and when it prompts for master database location, point to the master database stored in the CD.

this will give you an option of selecting the collation. select the right collation and restore the backup

many thanks for your help MAK I will try that.

The problem i was having when doing a normal reetore from backup was that my existing applications had started to read the dates as mm/dd/yy whereas before the crash they were reading dd/mm/yy. Hopefully this will resolve it.

Thanks again.

Colin