Thread: Oracle 9i won't come up after installation on Debian 3r1

Oracle 9i won't come up after installation on Debian 3r1

Hi everyone,

I have to install and use Oracle for university, I've installed it on my private fileserver (Debian 3r1). The installation was quite easy and everything run fine. But now the db won't start. Everytime i get this errormessage:

Code:
    LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on 31-MAR-2003 18:19:42

Copyright (c) 1991, 2002, Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Message 1070 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNSTNS-12545: Message 12545 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS
     TNS-12560: Message 12560 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS
      TNS-00515: Message 515 not found; No message file for product=network, facility=TNS
       Linux Error: 2: No such file or directory
    I used the Tutorial and the scripts (actually i still do) from this site:
    http://www.uni-karlsruhe.de/Uni/RZ/B.../Linux/Oracle/

Can any expert help me? My Oracle skills arn't the best...

wudu,
    looks like you are getting a configuration error for networking (oracles network listner). i would suggest taking the networking piece out of the equation. also, i have had problems with configuring oracle on linux and then not being able to start the database until AFTER i reboot the linux box. i would suggest:
    1. reboot the linux box
    2. make shure the oracle sql/net is not running:
    lsnrctl stop
    3. try and start the database:
    sqlplus /nolog
    connect sys/manager as sysdba
    startup

4. repost and see if we can figure out.

also, sometimes these are hard to determine the cause since i would need a connection to the box to determine all the environment and database parameters that you have configured.

let us know,

Thank you for the awnser, if tryed what you tould me. I figured out that the envireoment variable ORACLE_HOME was missing, I've added it to the user oracle, and now it seems to work:

Code:
    oracle@fileserver:~/OraHome1/bin$ ./lsnrctl start

LSNRCTL for Linux: Version 9.2.0.1.0 - Production on 31-MAR-2003 21:17:00

Copyright (c) 1991, 2002, Oracle Corporation.  All rights reserved.

Starting /vol02/oracle/OraHome1/bin/tnslsnr: please wait...

TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 9.2.0.1.0 - Production
    Log messages written to /vol02/oracle/OraHome1/network/log/listener.log
    Listening on: (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=fileserver.home)(PORT=1521)))

Connecting to (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(PORT=1521))
    STATUS of the LISTENER
    ------------------------
    Alias                     LISTENER
    Version                   TNSLSNR for Linux: Version 9.2.0.1.0 - Production
    Start Date                31-MAR-2003 21:17:00
    Uptime                    0 days 0 hr. 0 min. 0 sec
    Trace Level               off
    Security                  OFF
    SNMP                      OFF
    Listener Log File         /vol02/oracle/OraHome1/network/log/listener.log
    Listening Endpoints Summary...
      (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=fileserver.home)(PORT=1521)))
    The listener supports no services
    The command completed successfully
    I have to check this, because I don't have any clue how to test the database now. I've only experiance with M$ SQL and MySQL (I use those for my Java, PHP and C# Applications).

Do I have to install the Oracle Client tools on my Windows Notebook to work with, or to check it from the client.
    I don't have a programm to test the connection or the database, how I tould, its for universytie (my database course, they only user oracle).

Can you give me any hints? I only need this database for testing and my practical applications and exams on university. Maybe oracle will anyone kick the M$ SQL server off my applications, but at first I have to know more about it.

Thank you for the help!

wudu,
    if you need to connect to the database from a remote machine like your notebook, you will need to install oracle's client software (sql/plus) at a minimum. before doing this i would try and connect to the database from the server itself with the sqlplus commands i gave you earlier (assuming that the sys password is still manager). after you install the client software, there are tools to help you configure the sql/net connection from your client. if you have problems the manuals should are a good place to start. once you get connected , either from the server or your client box, you can issue straight DDL and DML to create and extract information from tables. this is your test to validate the workings.
    good luck.

thank you, i will try to get into this tricky system.