Thread: Please Help Me, I'm w/o a clue.

Unhappy Please Help Me, I'm w/o a clue.

How do I create a list of records in a table in which there is no hardcopy or softcopy. Just notes that were written from a meeting.

Ex. I want to insert 001, name, 002, name and etc...

I need to insert over 300 records starting with the number 001 and ending with 300.

Is there a stored procedure I need to write to auto generate this format. If so how do I accomplish this without me having to manually input all of these records.

Please Help.

dreday,
    the unfortunate answer to this is that someone will at sometime to this process have to key in the data you mention (it has to get into the computer somehow). now depending on the database you are using and the platform you are on may make things easier or harder. here are some thoughts for you as you go down this process to getting this information into the table.
    1. is this a procedure that will have to be used over again. if so, then it lends itself to writing an application or stored procedure.

2. if this is a one-shot, then i would suggest using an editor to key in the individual INSERT statements. yes this is tedious but like i said, you have to key them in sometime.

3. does the database you are using make use of sequence numbers. if so you can create a sequence number to auto generate the 001..300 numbers you are looking for. you will need to look at documentation for how to reference these in the INSERT statements.

4. are the sequence number 001..300 going to be used for anything. if they don't mean anything, get rid of them. if they were meant for searching or indexing use the name instead. most databases allow for textual searches.
    5. do you have an IT department? who maintains this database. typically, they are responsible for creation of new tables and load procedures for the data.

i could go on, but this should get you going.