Thread: SQL 2000 security & account question

SQL 2000 security & account question

First, I know very little of SQL. However, I am responsible for a Windows 2000 server box running SQL. I am concerend because there are several accounts relating to SQL that have Administrator privledges to the local machine.

My question:

What Win2k accounts are necessary for SQL and do they need Admin privledges?

All of the following have Admin rights to the local machine:

1. SQLProxyUser
    2. sa
    3. sqladmin
    4. our SQL DBA

Is is absolutely necessary for the above users to have Administrator rights? Can they get by with administrative rights within SQL alone?

Help?

It's not necessary to have administrative rights to run a sql server, but in case of special cases (like running a job when cpu is idle) the account running sql server agent service needs to be a local administrator.

If you remove these accounts from local admin group make sure that the accounts have proper rights in directories and registry keys belonging to sql server.

but in case of special cases (like running a job when cpu is idle) the account running sql server agent service needs to be a local administrator.
    Thanks for this reply. I'm not sure I understand what you mean in above quote. Can you clarify it a little for me. What account normally runs the sql server agent? What kind of job would run with the CPU at idle?

I apologize if these questions seem ridiculous but I am trying to ascertain what accounts NEED admin privledges to the local box and what can work with admin to SQL only.

Thanks for the reply.

We have figured out the answers to the question.

Appreciate the help