Thread: Replication Question.

Replication Question.

I am a new DBA and we want to replicate a large (approx 20 gigs) database, from our internal network to our external network. The subscriber database will be read only and will only need to be updated once a week. The published database will have a considerable amount of change between replications.
    How should I approach replication? If I do snapshots, that means every time the publisher publishes the snapshot it will have to make a snapshot of the whole database and all that data will have to be transported through our firewall. What are the best options I should look into to minimize the replication process and network traffic?
    Which replication model: snapshot, transactional, etc should I consider, or not consider.
    Any information is greatly appriciated!
    Thanks
    Rob

Replication may not be the best solution for your case because

database is too big for snapshot
    can't do transactional because you will be queuing up the changes for whole week in distribution database

I would suggest implementing log shipping. But again since you said the database is changed very frequently so you will have to schedule transaction log backup/copy/restore more frequently to prevent network clog. May be you could backup transaction log frequently in day time and copy and restore the logs in night.