Thread: Scheduled DTS packages don't complete - HELP!!!

Scheduled DTS packages don't complete - HELP!!!

Hi all - I'm having problems getting a package to run successfully to completion when I schedule it in SQL Server or as a batch file on the Windows scheduler. If I run the package interactively or run the batch file interactively that contains the DTSRUN command it runs to completion. Both packages start with a call to a batch file that FTPs files from a remote server and then they continue on by executing additional DTS packages within the running package. The owner of all the packages involved and is the same user that I am logged in as when running the packages interactively and is the same user that that SQL Agent and the Windows scheduler job runs under. The FTP step of each package does complete successfully but then I cannot trace where the package then hangs. The package never fails but rather it just continues in a Executing/Running state. This is getting extremely frustrating. Any insight in to this problem would be greatly appreciate.

Did you enable logging for package execution?

Originally posted by skhanal
    Did you enable logging for package execution?
    Yes - I have logging on all packages involved. However the logs do not seem to generate. I'm also logging the CmdExec command options and upon looking into that all that seems to occur is the FTP. It's almost as if the package is not executing the other packages within the package. Any reason why this would happen? As I said before, the only time I see this happening is when the first step in the package is the execution of a batch file - in this case a batch file that performs an FTP. Any other insight would be appreciated.

How is execution sequence configured? Does the second step run at Completion or at Success of the first step?

I am thinking the first step is not returning execution status.

What happens if you only have the batch file in a package?

Originally posted by skhanal
    How is execution sequence configured? Does the second step run at Completion or at Success of the first step?

I am thinking the first step is not returning execution status.

What happens if you only have the batch file in a package?
    I've tried it on both completion and success with the same results. When just the ftp package is scheduled is does complete successfully.