Thread: stuck on simple date query

stuck on simple date query

I have a table full of receipt data, and I want to be able to run a query to search through it by an approximate date, ie to bring up receipt issued +/- 7 days of the entered date, which is entered via a parameter. I tried
    "> ([Enter Estimated Date]-7) and < ([Enter Estimated Date] +7)"

But when I run the query and enter say 01/01/01 it tells me the expression is typed incorrectly or is too complex.

So I guess my questions is
    a) What am I doing wrong?
    b) How do I enter the date numerically?
    c) Will this do what I want?

I tried reading the help file (access XP) but it doesn't seem very... well... helpful: p

"> ([Enter Estimated Date]-7) and < ([Enter Estimated Date] +7)"

Try

PARAMETER [Enter Estimated Date] Date
    SELECT yada, yada
    FROM yada
    WHERE ([FieldName] > Cdate [Enter Estimated Date]-7) and ([FieldName] < [Enter Estimated Date] +7)"

Ta for your help, I tried what you said, actully found something usefull in the help filr (heaven forbid!) i got the query to run using:

"PARAMETER [Enter Estimated Date] Date
    SELECT [Recpit Date]
    FROM [Accounting]
    WHERE [Recpit Date]">"cdate[Enter Estimated Date] -7" And [Recpit Date]<[Enter Estimated Date]+7

but when i enter a date it say "expression is typed incorectly or is too complex to be evaluated"
    doesnt bring up an errors if just use a number, but it doesnt bring up any records either

thanks for your help, Im really new at this.

Try DateAdd

Interesting. Well I used to always use DateAdd until I saw another poster use [Date] + X, X being a number of days. Looks like there's a good reason to stick with the more formal DateAdd function.

Try

PARAMETERS [Enter Estimated Date] DateTime;
    SELECT Accounting.[Recpit Date]
    FROM Accounting
    WHERE (((Accounting.[Recpit Date])>DateAdd('d',-7,[Enter Estimated Date]) And (Accounting.[Recpit Date])<DateAdd('d',7,[Enter Estimated Date])));

HTH,

Peter

WOOOHOOO!

it goes with:
    PARAMETERS [Enter Estimated Date] DateTime;
    SELECT [Recpit Date]
    FROM [Acc date]
    WHERE [Recpit Date]>DateAdd('d',-7,[Enter Estimated Date]) And [Recpit Date]<DateAdd('d',7,[Enter Estimated Date])

I was usignthe accounting table instead of the accdate field in the query, so it gave me a bit of trouble, but it goes now,

Thanks for all your help

DOH

no it doesnt, it just brings up all the records.. I just had too few (ie : 1) test records..

edit:

well i made the query afresh, and just used
    >DateAdd("d",-7,[Enter Estimated Date]) And <DateAdd('d',+7,[Enter Estimated Date])

and it works sweet as

thanks
    Last edited by Wibber; 03-18-2003 at 05:48 PM.