Thread: database newbies

database newbies

Hello to all there!

Im a newly hired as a Library System Administrator and a newbies also for the new position. Some question or just an opinion what database we would use for our library.

We have a accounting system and we have also a register system and of course a library automation software and other usefull software in a university.

We will like to maintain, manage and others our files in library and to link other software in a university like accounting. Our Library Automation is ODBC Compliant and we need a opinion what database we will use to intergrate all software using query tools? our library automation will be are front-end? and what is our back-end? Suppose it is a ODBC compliant too for importing and linking.

Is there any MIS/ITC there working or assign in library?

Thank and more power!

aeolian_angel

This kind of question usually starts a religious war among database professionals.

You should consider three major databases
    MS SQL Server
    Oracle
    DB2

Which one you choose depends on many factors such as
    Skills available to manage database and OS
    Cost (initial and on-going)
    Size and performance required (all three claim to be the best, so it depends who you ask)

All three companies have comparison chart on their website, but naturally they will always claim their to be the best, but you can start there.

You should check with other libraries using similar systems to get inside information. Also you could contact vendors for these three databases and ask for reference.

thanks for info..

skhanal,

Thanks for the info..Anyway, I decide to use MS SQL Server 2000. We are more on query, linking, integration and i know this database will help us all our needs in our library.

Our ITC Dept. is using Oracle and hopefully i can migrate some data into MS SQL Server.

Thanks again and hope you still there to help me with regards to MS SQL Server.

aeolian_angel

MS SQL Server's linked server feature and data transformation service are two things you will be most interested then.

Good luck with the project.

On the other hand, seeing as how your ITC dept already has Oracle skills why don't you use Oracle as your platform?

I think they are planning to switch from Oracle to MS SQL Server.

On the other hand, On our library more on query, odbc and i think MS SQL is a big help for us. We are only have small data to back-up and very different to ITC Dept. that has a large data to back-up and maintain like register data and other.

Again, Thanks for the info.