Thread: Oracle statement versus SQL

Oracle statement versus SQL

We have a table associated with Opportunity that contains 2 date fields. The row itself is *sometimes* present (sometimes they fill in the dates, sometimes not), so I have to do an outer join (Oracle) aka a left join (Sql Server).
    The "left join" syntax doesn't work on Oracle, and the "(+)" outer join syntax doesn't work on SqlServer:

Oracle Syntax:
    Select SALESPOTENTIAL,ACTUALAMOUNT, STATUS, a.CREATEDATE, a.ESTIMATEDCLOSE, a.ACTUALCLOSE, c.TARGETED_DECISION_DATE, c.actual_decision_date from OPPORTUNITY a, C_OPPTDECISIONDATES c where a.OPPORTUNITYID = 'O6UJ9A000000' and a.opportunityid = c.opportunityid(+)

SqlServer syntax:
    Select SALESPOTENTIAL,ACTUALAMOUNT, STATUS, a.CREATEDATE, a.ESTIMATEDCLOSE, a.ACTUALCLOSE, c.TARGETED_DECISION_DATE, c.actual_decision_date from OPPORTUNITY a
    left join C_OPPTDECISIONDATES c on a.opportunityid = c.opportunityid where a.OPPORTUNITYID = 'O6UJ9A000000'

How does one write code that works on both databases?

Use ANSI standard SQL,

select * from
    OPPORTUNITY a
    left outer join C_OPPTDECISIONDATES c on a.opportunityid = c.opportunityid where a.OPPORTUNITYID = 'O6UJ9A000000'

ANSI Standard

That was the same statement as the MS SQL one that I posted. That doesn't work on Oracle.

What version of Oracle are you using. LEFT OUTER JOIN is supported in Oracle 9i.

Oracle version

We're using Oracle 8.17

Compatability between Oracle 8.1.7 and SQL Server

The way we get around this sort of problem is to create a view in both databases that does the outer join,
    using left outer join in sql server
    and (+) in Oracle.
    Your code then selects from the view.

ie.
    Create or Replace view ggg as
    Select SALESPOTENTIAL,ACTUALAMOUNT, STATUS, a.CREATEDATE, a.ESTIMATEDCLOSE, a.ACTUALCLOSE, c.TARGETED_DECISION_DATE, c.actual_decision_date,
    a.opportunityid
    from OPPORTUNITY a, C_OPPTDECISIONDATES c where a.opportunityid = c.opportunityid(+);

then select salespotential,...
    from ggg where
    oportunityid='O6UJ9A000000'

oracle/sql join

Thanks I will give that a try