Thread: Newbie for Restore DB

Unhappy Newbie for Restore DB

Hi,

I backup my database everynight from EM, Database-differential and once a week for Database-complete in tape.

I don't know why if I try to restore the Database-differential from the EM, it gives me an error message: I select the Recovery completion state at "Leave database operational. No additional transactional logs can be restored." However, when I restore the tape from the Database-complete, it works. I just want to know can anyone tells me what did I do wrong?

Also, can I just restore one table instead of the whole datbase? If so, how can I do it?

Finally, can anyone tell me what is the right way to backup my database or any suggest books that I can read for this particular topic?

Thanks a lot.

First you cannot just restore one table.
    Second about your restore problem, in order to restore a differential backup you must first restore the last full DB backup and then the differential. EM usually selects automatically the latest backup collection. If you want to run them separately you must restore the fuul backup with the option "Leave database non-operational."
    After completing the restore you can add the differential backup.

About books I won't make a recommendation because there are so many and everybody likes a different one. But you can find some usefull info at: http://www.mssqlserver.com/backup

M