Thread: [Req]Top 3 recodes .......!!!

Arrow [Req]Top 3 recodes .......!!!

Hi there,this is my first request in this forum,i hope i will get reply soon,now the problem,i want to know the Top 3 "Student" record of each "Class" with each "Section".e.g

=======================================
    roll# Class Name Section Rank
    23 1 Nabil A 1
    31 1 Tori A 2
    43 1 Jeff A 3
    20 1 Mark B 1
    03 1 Habe B 2
    . . . . .
    . . . . .
    . . . . .
    04 10 Xyz - 1
    76 10 Abc - 2
    04 10 Sdf - 3

=======================================

So in this way i can see the summary of the Top Student in the School by listing the Top 3 student of each class.

Top 3 Students

Is Rank a field or is it the ordinal rank of the student based on the value of field such as 'Score'? Without that information no can do.

Again, Top 3 what????

HTH,

Peter

well yes Rank is the Field which depent upon the value of "Marks_Obtain",and by "Top 3" i mean the record of the Position holder student's in the class...the record is gevin below:

roll#,name,f_name,class,sec(if there is any),Total_Marks,Marks_Obtain,Percentage,Grade,Ran k.

and from this database i want to know the Top 3 student of each class,with there section(If there is any section of the class).I hope now it's easy to understant.take care.

TOP X

Hi Cool Moon,

Before we begin, Name is a bad name for a field. It is a reserved word in Access and should be renamed StudentName or somesuch.

Also avoid the use of characters such as # etc, they may end up confusing the database at inappropriate times.

SELECT S.StudentName, S.StudentClass, S.Section, S.MarkObtained
    FROM Students as S
    WHERE S.RollNumber In (SELECT TOP 3 SR.RollNumber FROM Students as SR WHERE (SR.StudentClass = S.StudentClass) ORDER BY MarkObtained DESC)
    ORDER BY S.StudentClass,S.MarkObtained DESC

I have assumed that RollNumber is the Primary Key, if not the query will not work but you should get the gist of how it's done.

HTH,

Peter

Thanx PinkPanther,now it's working just fine and also thanx for the advise,now i will change the field name to a more suitable names,take care and God Bless You.