Thread: How to easily perform mass insertion of data

Question How to easily perform mass insertion of data

I am new to SQL. We have an NT SQL 7 server. A small s/w co. wrote us a custom app. to run an apt.complex renting/selling program. We need to input about 2,000 records of initial tenant data which we have on Excel. There are about 15 fields for each record.

How can I easily and quickly insert all required records and fields without manually inputting by hand one by one?

USE DTS

Use the Data Transformation Services / Wizard. Look it up in BOL (MS SQL Servers help file).

This makes it as easy as it can be (which depends on the complexity of the data, it's data types, quality of the Excel data etc).

HTH,

Peter

As mentioned earlier, I am total new to working with an SQL server.
    I assume there is a sequence of procedures that must be strictly followed in performing this. For instance: If the server is running, stop it, do I need to attach/detach any databases, what to do after completion of the data updates, what procedure can I use to verify it's authenticity.
    Can you walk me through these procedures please?

DTS

1. Go to Enterprise Manager.

2. Explode the tree and select the database server that you wish to import the Excel data into (ie the db's name is highlighted).

3. Goto Tools > Wizards

4. Select the Data Transformation Services > DTS Import Wizard

5. Follow the Wizard. If you are familar with other database products this should be straight forward.

Excel will be your datasource.

There are numerous things that could go wrong (eg security, data typing errors) but hopefully it should work. There is no need to attach/detach databases, and if the server is stopped how can you communicate it?

SQL Servers wizards are great tools.

I would recommend training if you are going to manage a DB Server. They are complex entities.

Personally I am amazed the software you have purchased has no import tool written into it, or the programmer didn't do this for you if it is a bespoke solution.

HTH,

Peter