Thread: virtual directorys and mysql on test server

virtual directorys and mysql on test server

Running winXP Pro with IIS and php and mysql installed. Setup several virtual directories to test 3 different website i am building. How do I tell mysql where to look for the databases. in particular I am testing an event calendar that receives and posts input from the publis. 12 hours reading, eyes red and blurry.
    thanks for the help

I'm not sure I understand why you have a problem. When you install MySQL, you set a data directory (usually C:\mysql\data> on Windows). This shouldn't change even if you are running multiple virtual directories for your websites. There's no need to create separate data directories too.

Ok I was trying to follow the directions that came with this calendar (from open.applideas.com). There is a folder in the calendar folder called "tools" witha data file called "db" here is a quote from the installation instructions:

"Move into the "tools" directory and create the database.
    This can usually be accomplished with the following
    command (assuming that you have a database already setup
    and that database is called "db_name"):
    mysql -h database.host.name -u database_username -p db_name < DB
    You will be prompted for a password and the contents of
    the "DB" file will be dumped into the database called
    "db_name"

I have tried to do this but get 1064 syntax errors. I guess what I really need to know is how to dump the datafile into the database.?
    Thanks
    DD

Don't know the software, but what presumably happens is that DB contains the SQL statements to create the tables etc.

Lots of things can go wrong, but here's a few to look at:

- is the database created (the instructions do assume you've already created the database)
    - Do you have permissions to update this db?
    - Does the DB file contain valid SQL statements, and hasn't been corrupted somewhere.

Good luck, and if you still have problems, send as much detail as you can. You can also look at the mysql site for some good docs (www.mysql.com)

Thanks
    I went to the mysql site and downloaded the gui SQLyog and was able to populate the database by running a batch query on the file. Thank you for your help
    DD