Thread: Tornado - Populating a Dropdown from another SQL Database

Tornado - Populating a Dropdown from another SQL Database

Using Tornado, how can a dropdown(selectbox) be populated from another database (one outside the SQL statement)?

An example of this syntax, on your WEB site, would be helpful.

you must mean val / tex index of the edit fields - correct ?

questions -

* static or dynamic data for dropdown?

* Same source different table or different source ?

FK

Tornado - Populating a Dropdown from another SQL Database

OK, I want to use a database table from a different source which contains information needed to populate a dropdown box. How do I do this? Again, an example on the WEB site would be helpful....

data is static or dynamic ?

FK

The data exists in a table. We need to read a field of data from that table which exists in a different source. How else can I say this?

I'm unsure how you define static and dynamic as it relates to a tables data.
    But, whatever the type it needs to be used to populate a dropdown so a user can select it.

Let's say your drop data comes from MS-SQL Northwind and you are using it in ACCESS NWIND.

Module #1 - (MS-SQL)
    Use dbCommonTables to define the drop indexes. Make this module run only one time dbFirstTimeOnly=true, invisible etc.... These indexes are COMMON and available throughout the entire session.

Module #2 - (ACCESS)
    build your tex/val drops using the indexes by name and go on with your work. Unlike ASP, Tornado dropdwons and lookup is designed to handle a case like this one.

dynamic means the drop data can change every time (rare) - scratch this case...
    static is fine. See previous message.

FK

Thanks for the information but it still doesn't explain how I declare a SQL statement to use a different DSN source in .dbcommontables. Here's my code

Dim cTbls as String = ""
    cTbls = "index=Anamex|sql=SELECT FullName FROM PersInfo;"
    cTbls = cTbls & "index=Classx|sql=SELECT Schedule FROM DatesTimes"
    .dbCommonTables=cTbls

explanation of code: PersInfo is in a different DSN then DatesTimes. I need to get data from PersInfo to populate a dropdown then save the resulting selection to DatesTimes, a table the main proram DSN.

>>..PersInfo is in a different DSN then DatesTimes

You mean differnt DSN or same DSN but different TABLEs?

If same DB and different tables (normal case) then use a JOIN to build the SQL and then build the Index using index=Anamex,Classx|SQL=SELECT Anamex,Classx from (JOIN TABLE)

If different DSN (unusual) then use two modules to produce each index

Anamex
    Classx

FK

try the following and see how to draw the drop data from different tables -

<script language='vb' runat='server'>
    Sub Page_Load(Source as Object, E as EventArgs)
    Dim Update As New Tornado.Z()
    '...DropDown
    With Update
    .dbQP="U=5|S=3|D=Nwind.Mdb|Q=Select * From employees|gdf=0,1|ni=b5,update|bm=employees;0|Th=T itle=Update DropDown"
    .dbMode = "ty=dual-horiz| sysind=t"
    .dbEditUpdateFlds = "fi=0|ty=RONOUPdate,4,fi=HireDate|ty=TextCalendar, fi=HomePhone|ty=TEXT,fi=ReportsTo|ty=SELECTBOX|val =EID|tex=FullName,fi=Notes|type=TextArea|tag=COLS= 25 ROWS=5"
    '...you can skip Val (=Tex) but you cannot skip Tex
    .dbCommonTables = "index=First,FullName|sql=Select Firstname,Firstname & ' ' & Lastname from employees; index=EID|sql=Select Employeeid from employees"
    .dbLookUpFlds = "fi=EmployeeID|key=EID|look=FullName,fi=ReportsTo| key=EID|look=Fullname"
    .ASPdbNET()
    End With
    '...Dropdown is for edit and filter only. It forces user to pick the pre-determined values. dbCommonTables is used the same way as lookup. The (ReportsTo) field is defined as a SelectBox and the dropdowns VALUE and corresponding TEXT are selected from the commontables
    End Sub
    </script>

Thanks for the code and explanation.

However, I need an example containing a dropdown which is populated from a table using a different DSN. The one you have here doesn't appear to satisfy that criteria. I was able to do this using ASPdb Classic Gold with no problems.

The code for supporting different DSN, and provider(DotNet) in Commontables exists but not opened due to the potential problems of uneven lists treatment. But then I was reminded that manual lists already have that problem. SO, let me do some testing and if there is no ill effect, then I'll open that. Property looks something like -> index=Aname| SQL=Statement~DSN~Provider.

FK