Thread: AddLinked Server (Exchange) from SQL Server

Question AddLinked Server (Exchange) from SQL Server

The syntax I am using is...

EXEC sp_addlinkedserver 'exchange',
    'Exchange OLE DB provider',
    'exoledb.DataSource.1',
    'file:\\ServerMachine\M\ExchangeServer.LOCAL\PUBLI C FOLDERS\backofficestorage\localhost\public folders'

Where the name of the machine is "ServerMachine".

The name of the domain, or Exchange Server is "ExchangeServer"

The path listed is a valid network path, and it is being executed as an Enterprise Administrator.

The problem is, when attempting to conntct, I get the error message...
    "Error 7304: Could not create a new session on OLE DB Provider exoledb.datasource.1"

James,
    I believe the Exchange server and the SQL server have to be on the same box.

See 'OLE DB Provider for Exchange' in BOL for details.

Jeff

They are on the same box...???

When you said you were using a unc path I thought you were pointing to a different machine.

I use the full path because I was initially testing from another machine, I also tested from the server that is running both services. I also tried several variations of the path. I was told by an friend that they don't need to be on the same box, but I did read that they did. Anyway, do you have any suggestions??

Thanks James

James,
    I'm not sure if you've tried this yet, but substitute your e-mail domain for 'localhost' in your string:

'backofficestorage\yourdomain.com\public folders'

Jeff

There is no DNS to this server, it is not an email server, and the domain name will not resolve to it. It is on a LAN and not on the internet. Also, Back office is not installed on it. Exchange is only being used for contact management and calendering with Active Directory. I have ruled out the possibility of it being permissions, I mapped permissions with sp_addlinkedsrvlogin and verified through testing.

Here is the actual connection string I am trying with right now...

EXEC sp_addlinkedserver 'exchange', 'Exchange OLE DB provider', 'exoledb.DataSource.1', 'file:\\Skindisease\M\DERMFOUNDATION.LOCAL\PUBLIC FOLDERS'

I know that the first parameter is correct, and that the third parameter is correct (or so I think) what I think is incorrect (my guess) is the path in the "file:\\..." there is not much documentation avaliable about this. I tried using a "LDAP://" string as I found some references to this, but no sucess. I am open to accessing this info from Active Directory if that is any easier?

I got the connection to Exchange to work. I was correct about the part of the query that was in error. the path must be "file:\\.\backofficestorage\" + the fully qualified domain name (servername.domain.com, in this case Dermfoundation.local) +"\public folders". I don't know why this string started working now, when it didn't work before, but now I can see the tables (folders) in "public folders". Now I am getting a different error message when trying to query the Contacts table (folder), "[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server] An error occured while prepairing a query for execution against OLE DB Provider 'Exoledb.datasource.1'".

The query string is ...
    SELECT Convert(nvarchar(30), "urn:schemas:contacts:sn") LastName
    FROM OpenQuery(Exchange, 'SELECT "urn:schemas:contacts:sn"
    FROM ".\Contact"')

After I posted my last reply, I saw the error in my query, the last reference to the table was "Contact" and should have been "Contacts". It works now....