Thread: Why is SQL Server 7 so slow? I only have about 11500 rows in the table

Hybrid View

Bob Nachbar Guest

Why is SQL Server 7 so slow? I only have about 11500 rows in the table

I wonder how SQL Server 7 can be so slow!! I use an external application (that we made) which reads information from SQL Server 7 databases. What I mean is, one of my allications reads information about "users" and there is about 11500 rows in the table with 34 columns in each. My application shows information about one person at a time. And then there's a scrollbox at the bottom where one can scroll to see other users (about 11500 different users). When I'm using the scrollbars to move down and get information about other users, I see that the CPU-usage is 100% all the time. And the "hour-glass" (windows thingy to show that there's a delay) is shown for maybe a second. And at first it takes almost 10 seconds to (I suppose?) read in the information from the table into my application and show information about the first user.

I don't think it should take almost a second or so to just scroll this list of users. How can SQL Server be so slow? I have 196 megabyte ram on this computer that I use for development. All databases together are less than 15 megabytes. Less than 10 megabytes I suppose.

I mean, in Access97 it was much faster but whas gettins slower for certain occurances with much more data int he tables, and the whole idea of converting the system to SQL Server7 was to got fast responsetimes.
    Just to clarify, the client-application and the SQL Server resides on the same computer right now so they don't have to go over some kind of network-conenction etc.

What is the big problem here?

regards, Bob Nachbar.

Sonia Guest

Why is SQL Server 7 so slow? I only have about 11500 rows in the table (reply)

There could be several reasons - I take it that you have a primary key on the table based on a unique reference etc?? How is your application pulling through this information by a stored procedure or is running the query each time??

------------
    Bob Nachbar at 9/1/00 6:20:43 AM

I wonder how SQL Server 7 can be so slow!! I use an external application (that we made) which reads information from SQL Server 7 databases. What I mean is, one of my allications reads information about "users" and there is about 11500 rows in the table with 34 columns in each. My application shows information about one person at a time. And then there's a scrollbox at the bottom where one can scroll to see other users (about 11500 different users). When I'm using the scrollbars to move down and get information about other users, I see that the CPU-usage is 100% all the time. And the "hour-glass" (windows thingy to show that there's a delay) is shown for maybe a second. And at first it takes almost 10 seconds to (I suppose?) read in the information from the table into my application and show information about the first user.

I don't think it should take almost a second or so to just scroll this list of users. How can SQL Server be so slow? I have 196 megabyte ram on this computer that I use for development. All databases together are less than 15 megabytes. Less than 10 megabytes I suppose.

I mean, in Access97 it was much faster but whas gettins slower for certain occurances with much more data int he tables, and the whole idea of converting the system to SQL Server7 was to got fast responsetimes.
    Just to clarify, the client-application and the SQL Server resides on the same computer right now so they don't have to go over some kind of network-conenction etc.

What is the big problem here?

regards, Bob Nachbar.