Thread: Sinking. Please help.

Unhappy Sinking. Please help.

I'm totally lost when it comes to SQL Server. We currently run an ERP system called Visual Manufacturing. It uses SQLBase and we are going to convert to SQL Server 2000. I want to be sure that it runs the best that it can with what I have. I've looked every where but can't seem to get any help. My Server is 2 years old. It has (6) 9.1GB Hard Drives, Raid 5, 1.2GB RAM, Dual 800 Mhz processors. I tried to get them to buy me another server but no go. I am currently running NT 4.0 on this but I am going to wipe the machine out and redo it with W2K Server. What I want to know is... What is the best way to set up the server hard drives with what I have and have it run at its best? Someone please help.

If possible, put os, db data files and db logs on their own array. What's db size and how many dbs do you have?

Dbf is fairly new -- only 600MB. I have a few small access dbf but nothing major. Someone said I should do this... Mirror two of the drives and raid 5 the other four. Put the os, dbf files, and logs on mirrored drives and app on raid 5 drives. Is this what you would do?

Put app on same box? I'll create 3 raid 1 arrays. One for os and app, one for db data files, and one for db log files.