Hello there...
Pending receiving the full version from the higher powers at my work, I have downloaded the Evaluation version of SQL 2000, and set up an instance on my desktop machine. This was set up on an administrator account, and works fine.
My main aim with SQL 2000 is to upsize all the companies piddling little Access 97 databases into an SQL backend and keep the 97 frontends. I have migrated some of the tablesets into SQL, and linked to them in Access 97 and they work fine.
However, the problems are when I try and set up ODBC. When I enter ODBC as a different user on the server itself, the ODBC list of available SQL Servers shows me the correct server information - my PC ID no, followed by the server name. However, when I try and connect with another machine on the network, it only displays the PC ID no of the server, and not the server name. When I attempt to add the server with just the PC name, it doesnt find the server - same when I add the name of the database to the end of the PC ID no.
I'm sure there is something really basic I have not done, but I'm totally stumped now. I am using Windows Auth, and have set up the login of the other PC I am trying to connect, as an authorised user.
Please help me - I am just a doofus, please feel free to laugh at me...