Thread: windows 2k server slow reboot

windows 2k server slow reboot

It takes my server forever to reboot, does anyone know how to fix this or is this a problem with the system or just how it is? Thanks

Re: windows 2k server slow reboot

Originally posted by stinkfist
    It takes my server forever to reboot, does anyone know how to fix this or is this a problem with the system or just how it is? Thanks
    Was the server upgraded from a previous version of windows? If so reinstall from scratch if possible.

no it was a fresh install on a new machine.

Does it come up? Any message in event log? Is it in NT domain or active directory? How many policies applied? ...

i don't see any errors in the event logs there has only been 2 different people who logged in to this servers console. It just seems to take forever to save the settings then shut down. booting up is fine, just shutting down takes forever.

Do you run Exchange on the box? Does it shut down faster if you manually stop various services first?

no this is just a 2k server nothing is on it yet we are going to use it as a citrix server. I haven't installed that yet, it keeps blue screening on me during the citrix install. I haven't tried shutting down services before shutting it down. I shouldn't have to should I? I have seen other server restart faster than this without shutting some services down? thanks for your help

Ensure you don't have huge profile.

there are 3 profiles on this server.
    301kb
    511kb
    376kb

I'm logged in as the 376 now. they don't seem to big, if they are how do i make them smaller.

Originally posted by stinkfist
    no this is just a 2k server nothing is on it yet we are going to use it as a citrix server. I haven't installed that yet, it keeps blue screening on me during the citrix install. I haven't tried shutting down services before shutting it down. I shouldn't have to should I? I have seen other server restart faster than this without shutting some services down? thanks for your help
    No you shouldn't have to shut down the services first really. The blue screening is a bit worrying. Are you sure about the hardware? Maybe something is not quite right with this box?

Suggestions:

1. Install latest service pack on that server.

2. Check pagefile size

3. Check Free space in your C Drive.
    If its less cleanup the unwanted files.

4. Remove unwanted software from the startup.

5.Task manager gives u a detail info on running softwares. uninstall the unwanted s/w

6. Clean registry. u can download regclean.exe

7. Norton Virus shield and scan eats a lot of processing and disk io time.

8. Place DNS Server address in the TCP IP properties

9. Cleanup your desktop, profiles

10. Pray God. (just kidding)

Ok, this is how my paging files are set up on the server. I have 3 gigs of ram, the OS is on a mirrored drive, all the programs are on another mirror. I have the log files on one raid5 drive and the data files on another raid 5 drive. The page files are as follows, c: 2046-4092 D: 700-1000 E: 700-1000 F: 700-1000. I'm not sure if i should have the C: pagefile so large or if i should have a page file on any of the raid5 drives. Any thoughts of how i should set this up? Thanks!

I'll put page file with fixed size on c: only.