Thread: migrate access97 tables to sql server 2000

Question migrate access97 tables to sql server 2000

What causes an overflow error in the upsizing wizard for migrating access97 tables to sql server2000? Sometimes it appears and sometimes in does not. Is it due to ODBC?

May caused by mdac version mismatch.

Some sgguestions

I've done quite a few of these upsizings in the past and have been trying to help out a colleague who's doing some now (many different versions of Access and both SQL7 and SQL2000).

My conclusion is that the upsizing wizard is OK if you think of it as doing part of the job (I now prefer DTS but I can understand the reluctance..). I would recommend avoiding including relationships between tables, indexes and so on in the automatic upsize, it's probably better to think them out carefully once you've got the basic table structures and data up in SQL (of course, if you have a lot of tables and relationships this may not be practical).

You also need to check out the data types that the upsizing wizard creates in SQL e.g. it always sets up UNICODE char, varchar and text fields ("nchar", "nvarchar" and so on), this may not be a good idea, it depends on what you are using as client software.

I seem to remember that it is possible just to upsize the table structures and then you can import the data using other tools (DTS, Insert queries, whatever).

I think the Upsizing Wizards can be a great way to get into SQL quickly from Access, but it's naive to imagine that they can really do a good conversion.

hope this helps