Thread: ASP-DB tool / killing sql server process

Ziggy Guest

ASP-DB tool / killing sql server process

I am having a few problems using ASP-DB advertised on this site. Queries that were working rather quickly a week ago are timing out for no apparent reason. (asp-db seems to be buggy)

I have no idea as to what is causing the query (ie select * from tables X, Y, Z) to time out. The process id on SQL server says AWAITING COMMAND or SLEEPING.

Also, the processes on SQL server do not seem to die. Can this be accomplished via ASP or other means.

All help is greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Ziggy

John Guest

ASP-DB tool / killing sql server process (reply)

Hi Ziggy,

We don't think the problem is due to ASP-db. We've been running the copy on
    our web site and it hasn't been rebooted in 4 months! If there's bugs or leaks, they'd show up by now. It is also running here on swynk.com. It gets thousdands of hits a day and runs all kinds of SQL Server queries w/o any problems.

I'd suspect something in the database or drivers. We simply "pass through" your requests. You can verify this by running Enterprise Manager, or maybe just the pureasp.asp program supplied with our component and do the same query. I'll bet your find the query "hangs" there too and you won't even be using our component at all.

Suggestion is to try the above two to verify, then strip down the query to a bare minimum to help illuminate where the problem might be.

Thanks,
    John

------------
    Ziggy at 10/14/99 10:06:03 AM

I am having a few problems using ASP-DB advertised on this site. Queries that were working rather quickly a week ago are timing out for no apparent reason. (asp-db seems to be buggy)

I have no idea as to what is causing the query (ie select * from tables X, Y, Z) to time out. The process id on SQL server says AWAITING COMMAND or SLEEPING.

Also, the processes on SQL server do not seem to die. Can this be accomplished via ASP or other means.

All help is greatly appreciated
    Thanks
    Ziggy