Thread: #-Character in fields displayed via dbMagicCell

Steven Overson Guest

#-Character in fields displayed via dbMagicCell

I am using the dbMagicCell to insert field content into other text. For example:

dbMagicCell = &#34;(;|~)Title||<center>The title of the book is #Title#.</center>;&#34;

But if the contents of the Title field includes a &#34;#&#34; (i.e., Title = &#34;Train #245&#34, the following error is generated: &#34;Error in # pairs in - &#39;The title of the book is &#34;

Is there a way to allow the &#34;#&#34; character (or whichever delimiter character is used) from an inserted field to be displayed?

Thanks, Steven

John Guest

#-Character in fields displayed via dbMagicCell (reply)

Hi Steven,

The default delimiters for dbMagicCell are: ;,[]#

That final parameter is the &#34;#&#34; character and you can change it to something
    else if you expect &#34;#&#34; to appear in your content. Changing it to tilde,
    your example would be:

dbMagicCell = &#34;(;|[]~)Title||<center>The title is ~Title~.</center>;

Hope this helps!
    John

------------
    Steven Overson at 10/21/99 10:06:24 PM

I am using the dbMagicCell to insert field content into other text. For example:

dbMagicCell = &#34;(;|~)Title||<center>The title of the book is #Title#.</center>;&#34;

But if the contents of the Title field includes a &#34;#&#34; (i.e., Title = &#34;Train #245&#34, the following error is generated: &#34;Error in # pairs in - &#39;The title of the book is &#34;

Is there a way to allow the &#34;#&#34; character (or whichever delimiter character is used) from an inserted field to be displayed?

Thanks, Steven

Steven Overson Guest

John,

That helps a little. But it really only switches the problem to another character. I guess I was hoping for some kind of override, say a preceding &#34;&#34; to indicate to your parser to ignore the next character. Is there anything like that?

Thanks,
    Steven

------------
    John at 10/22/99 2:55:00 AM

Hi Steven,

That final parameter is the &#34;#&#34; character and you can change it to something
    your example would be:

Hope this helps!
    John

------------

Thanks, Steven

John Guest

Hi Steven,

There&#39;s no &#34;escape&#34; character, like the backslash you suggest. You can
    probably make it a control character though, such as chr(178) or something.
    That shouldn&#39;t appear in there anywhere! Let us know how it works out.

John

------------
    Steven Overson at 10/22/99 10:25:54 AM

John,

That helps a little. But it really only switches the problem to another character. I guess I was hoping for some kind of override, say a preceding &#34;&#34; to indicate to your parser to ignore the next character. Is there anything like that?

Thanks,
    Steven

------------
    John at 10/22/99 2:55:00 AM

Hi Steven,

your example would be:

Hope this helps!
    John

------------

Thanks, Steven