Thread: blank cell when displaying variant values from a simple ADO provider

Pierre Carbonnelle Guest

blank cell when displaying variant values from a simple ADO provider

I am trying to use aspdb on an ADO connection whose provider is a simple provider, such as the one from the book "Professional ADO 2.5 programming" from WROX (chapter 16): I get a page with the proper number of rows and columns, I get the field names, but each cell is blank !

Simple providers have columns/fields of the variant data type. Can this be explained by the fact that aspdb always expect a defined data type (such as date, integer, ...) ? What is the workaround ? I tried to use dbMagicCell with format=[currency], but it did not seem to solve it.

The code is below:
    <html>
    <body>

<%@ Language=VBScript%>
    <%
    Dim conn
    Dim rs
    dim x

Set conn = server.createObject(&#34;adodb.connection&#34
    conn.Provider = &#34;MSDAOSP&#34;
    conn.Properties(&#34;Data Source&#34.Value = &#34;regoledb.datasource&#34;

conn.Open

Set rs = server.createobject (&#34;adodb.recordset&#34

rs.Open &#34;<XMLTextCommand><Key>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWA RE</Key><Fields><Field>ItemName</Field><Field>FullName</Field><Field>ItemType</Field><Field>Data</Field></Fields></XMLTextCommand>&#34;, conn, 1

Set X=Server.CreateObject(&#34;AspDB.Pro&#34
    X.dbRecordSet = rs
    X.dbUnit = 101
    X.dbMode = &#34;Dual-Horiz&#34;

X.ASPdbPro

rs.Close: Set rs = Nothing
    conn.Close
    Set conn = Nothing

response.write &#34;OK<br>&#34;
    %>
    </body>
    </html>

Frank Kwong Guest

blank cell when displaying variant values from a simple ADO provider (reply)

If it is, then it would be a simple fix. You can give me a working ASP file (not ASP-db file) that&#39;ll run in ADO 2.5 environment adn display the rs. I can then check the type. Also, you can print out the datae type rs.type and let me know what they are.

I tried to run you program and it quits at the data source in line &#34;conn.open&#34;.

FK

------------
    Pierre Carbonnelle at 8/30/00 4:53:21 PM

I am trying to use aspdb on an ADO connection whose provider is a simple provider, such as the one from the book &#34;Professional ADO 2.5 programming&#34; from WROX (chapter 16): I get a page with the proper number of rows and columns, I get the field names, but each cell is blank !

Simple providers have columns/fields of the variant data type. Can this be explained by the fact that aspdb always expect a defined data type (such as date, integer, ...) ? What is the workaround ? I tried to use dbMagicCell with format=[currency], but it did not seem to solve it.

The code is below:
    <html>
    <body>

<%@ Language=VBScript%>
    <%
    Dim conn
    Dim rs
    dim x

conn.Open

rs.Open &#34;<XMLTextCommand><Key>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWA RE</Key><Fields><Field>ItemName</Field><Field>FullName</Field><Field>ItemType</Field><Field>Data</Field></Fields></XMLTextCommand>&#34;, conn, 1

X.dbRecordSet = rs
    X.dbUnit = 101

X.ASPdbPro

conn.Close
    Set conn = Nothing

%>
    </body>
    </html>

Pierre Carbonnelle Guest

Thank you for your quick answer.

The reason for this error is that you need to install the regoledb provider. It is available from www.wrox.com (download area for the book I mentionned below). I&#39;ll send the zip file directly to your E-mail address.

I have updated the code to display some fields in the record before calling aspdb.

I we can make this to work, it would be great because I could place my business logic in my own simple provider implementation. I believe this is a very flexible architecture to use aspdb in complex business application (when you do not want to use stored procedures). Now, this could increase your market, isn&#39;t it ? How else do your users implement their business logic ?

Thanks again for your help.
    ------------
    Frank Kwong at 8/31/00 1:21:27 AM

If it is, then it would be a simple fix. You can give me a working ASP file (not ASP-db file) that&#39;ll run in ADO 2.5 environment adn display the rs. I can then check the type. Also, you can print out the datae type rs.type and let me know what they are.

I tried to run you program and it quits at the data source in line &#34;conn.open&#34;.

FK

------------

I am trying to use aspdb on an ADO connection whose provider is a simple provider, such as the one from the book &#34;Professional ADO 2.5 programming&#34; from WROX (chapter 16): I get a page with the proper number of rows and columns, I get the field names, but each cell is blank !

The code is below:

------------------ NEW code -----------------
    <html>
    <body>

<%@ Language=VBScript%>
    <%
    Dim conn
    Dim rs
    dim x

conn.Open
    response.write &#34;Conn opened<br>&#34;

response.write &#34;Recordset opened<br>&#34;

rs.movefirst
    i=1
    do while not rs.eof and i<50
    response.write rs.fields(1).value & &#34;:&#34; & rs.fields(1).type & &#34;<br>&#34;
    i=i+1: rs.movenext
    loop

X.dbRecordSet = rs
    X.dbUnit = 101

X.dbMagicCell= &#34;quantity,,format=[Currency]&#34;
    &#39; X.dbdebug=true

X.ASPdbPro

&#39; rs.delete
    conn.Close
    Set conn = Nothing

%>
    </body>
    </html>

Pierre Carbonnelle Guest

I could not find your e-mail address, so I&#39;ll give you the info on how to install regoledb.

Go to www.wrox.com
    click on Code on the top menu
    select the title &#34;Professional ADO 2.5 programming&#34;
    choose your site for the source code download (1st line after the title)
    download the file (2.25 MB)
    extract it; Chapter 16 is of interest to us.

Then you need to register the regoledb.dll on your machine.
    The easiest is to open the regoledb.vbg program group in VB6 and to File/Make regoledb.dll. VB6 will automatically register it on your machine.

I believe this is enough to get the asp page to run. I can look back in the book if you have problem registering the dll.

Thanks again.
    Pierre Carbonnelle

------------

FK

------------

The code is below:
    <html>
    <body>

<%@ Language=VBScript%>
    <%
    Dim conn
    Dim rs
    dim x

conn.Open

X.dbRecordSet = rs
    X.dbUnit = 101

X.ASPdbPro

conn.Close
    Set conn = Nothing

%>
    </body>
    </html>

Frank Kwong Guest

Pierre,
    I got the Ch16. Installed the DLL and I ran your program - data are ALL there and no blanks !! I am using the UNO version. Then I go back to use the Pro version and Yes, data are all blank. Seemed like the Pro version does not have all the latest datatype in it. So, please call support and upgrade (Free for users with the maint. conctract) to the UNO version and start cranking. I do not like the idea to get the RS and then pump it inot ASP-db. Must be a better way to do this. Since this provider works on ADO 2.5 only, I&#39;ll support that fully when more users use that.

FK

------------
    Pierre Carbonnelle at 8/31/00 8:26:37 AM

I could not find your e-mail address, so I&#39;ll give you the info on how to install regoledb.

Go to www.wrox.com

The easiest is to open the regoledb.vbg program group in VB6 and to File/Make regoledb.dll. VB6 will automatically register it on your machine.

I believe this is enough to get the asp page to run. I can look back in the book if you have problem registering the dll.

Thanks again.
    Pierre Carbonnelle

------------

FK

------------

The code is below:
    <html>
    <body>

<%@ Language=VBScript%>
    <%
    Dim conn
    Dim rs
    dim x

conn.Open

X.dbRecordSet = rs
    X.dbUnit = 101

X.ASPdbPro

conn.Close
    Set conn = Nothing

%>
    </body>
    </html>

Frank Kwong Guest

Pierre,
    Today, users use DLL to implement their business logic. Let me know if you have a good business logic implmeneted using this simple provider. It&#39;ll give me a good template to implement the support.

Frank

------------
    Pierre Carbonnelle at 8/31/00 8:14:30 AM

Thank you for your quick answer.

The reason for this error is that you need to install the regoledb provider. It is available from www.wrox.com (download area for the book I mentionned below). I&#39;ll send the zip file directly to your E-mail address.

I have updated the code to display some fields in the record before calling aspdb.

I we can make this to work, it would be great because I could place my business logic in my own simple provider implementation. I believe this is a very flexible architecture to use aspdb in complex business application (when you do not want to use stored procedures). Now, this could increase your market, isn&#39;t it ? How else do your users implement their business logic ?

Thanks again for your help.
    ------------

FK

------------

The code is below:

------------------ NEW code -----------------
    <html>
    <body>

<%@ Language=VBScript%>
    <%
    Dim conn
    Dim rs
    dim x

conn.Open
    response.write &#34;Conn opened<br>&#34;

response.write &#34;Recordset opened<br>&#34;

rs.movefirst
    i=1
    do while not rs.eof and i<50
    response.write rs.fields(1).value & &#34;:&#34; & rs.fields(1).type & &#34;<br>&#34;
    i=i+1: rs.movenext
    loop

X.dbRecordSet = rs
    X.dbUnit = 101

X.dbMagicCell= &#34;quantity,,format=[Currency]&#34;
    &#39; X.dbdebug=true

X.ASPdbPro

&#39; rs.delete
    conn.Close
    Set conn = Nothing

%>
    </body>
    </html>

Pi Guest

------------
    Frank Kwong at 8/31/00 12:00:58 PM

Pierre,
    I got the Ch16. Installed the DLL and I ran your program - data are ALL there and no blanks !! I am using the UNO version. Then I go back to use the Pro version and Yes, data are all blank. Seemed like the Pro version does not have all the latest datatype in it. So, please call support and upgrade (Free for users with the maint. conctract) to the UNO version and start cranking. I do not like the idea to get the RS and then pump it inot ASP-db. Must be a better way to do this. Since this provider works on ADO 2.5 only, I&#39;ll support that fully when more users use that.

FK

------------

Go to www.wrox.com

Thanks again.
    Pierre Carbonnelle

------------

FK

------------

The code is below:
    <html>
    <body>

<%@ Language=VBScript%>
    <%
    Dim conn
    Dim rs
    dim x

conn.Open

X.dbRecordSet = rs
    X.dbUnit = 101

X.ASPdbPro

conn.Close
    Set conn = Nothing

%>
    </body>
    </html>

Pierre Carbonnelle Guest

Great ! More about business logic...

I am glad to know that you could make it work !

Excuse me if I ask stupid question, but what is the UNO version ? Is it like &#34;Unofficial&#34; ? As I still have the evaluation version of aspdb-pro, which version should I buy ?

Concerning the business logic question, I am currently finalizing a development tool that lets you specify the business logic as a set of spreadsheet-like formulas (but these are relational formulas). As the tool automatically determines the sequence of processing, it speeds up development tremendously, although at the expense of some performance loss. I want to make sure that the tool is compatible with a &#34;front-end designer&#34; like yours. I&#39;ll be happy to send more infomation to you by direct E-mail if you are interested.

You mention that your customers implement their business logic as DLL. It is still not clear how they hook it up to aspdb. I looked in the examples on aspdb.com, and I can see examples of data entry validation, but what about performing processing on entered records (such as re-calculating the amount of the order when a new order line is inserted) ? My approach would be to place this logic in the simple OLE DB provider, so that it would be transparent to ASP and aspdb. Sounds simple, but I still have to make sure it works !!

Pierre Carbonnelle
    ------------

Pierre,

FK

------------

Go to www.wrox.com

Thanks again.
    Pierre Carbonnelle

------------

FK

------------

The code is below:
    <html>
    <body>

<%@ Language=VBScript%>
    <%
    Dim conn
    Dim rs
    dim x

conn.Open

X.dbRecordSet = rs
    X.dbUnit = 101

X.ASPdbPro

conn.Close
    Set conn = Nothing

%>
    </body>
    </html>

Frank Kwong Guest

Great ! More about business logic... (reply)

Pierre,
    The UNO version is the latest configueration that a single (UNO) DLL supporting all the differnt versions via an ID file. This configueration eliminates incompatibilities between versions. If you have not ordered anything yet, you&#39;ll be getting the UNO for sure. So this would not be any issue for you.

Business logic can usually be done in the asp file or in the DLL (Security). ASP-db is just a pass through and a data presenter. It is capable of grabbing data from diffrent sources (ala data warehouse) and integrate them into a single report. Data can be a grid, a graphical chart and many other foms. Tables are normally left untouched and data transformation is done with the build-in functions of ASP-db. That is why when the data changes platform, the ASP-db code will not change !!

E-mail me at frank@aspdb.com for new ideas and your Simple Provider implementation.

Frank

------------
    Pierre Carbonnelle at 8/31/00 12:41:24 PM

Excuse me if I ask stupid question, but what is the UNO version ? Is it like &#34;Unofficial&#34; ? As I still have the evaluation version of aspdb-pro, which version should I buy ?

Concerning the business logic question, I am currently finalizing a development tool that lets you specify the business logic as a set of spreadsheet-like formulas (but these are relational formulas). As the tool automatically determines the sequence of processing, it speeds up development tremendously, although at the expense of some performance loss. I want to make sure that the tool is compatible with a &#34;front-end designer&#34; like yours. I&#39;ll be happy to send more infomation to you by direct E-mail if you are interested.

You mention that your customers implement their business logic as DLL. It is still not clear how they hook it up to aspdb. I looked in the examples on aspdb.com, and I can see examples of data entry validation, but what about performing processing on entered records (such as re-calculating the amount of the order when a new order line is inserted) ? My approach would be to place this logic in the simple OLE DB provider, so that it would be transparent to ASP and aspdb. Sounds simple, but I still have to make sure it works !!

Pierre Carbonnelle
    ------------

Pierre,

FK

------------

Go to www.wrox.com

Thanks again.
    Pierre Carbonnelle

------------

FK

------------

The code is below:
    <html>
    <body>

<%@ Language=VBScript%>
    <%
    Dim conn
    Dim rs
    dim x

conn.Open

X.dbRecordSet = rs
    X.dbUnit = 101

X.ASPdbPro

conn.Close
    Set conn = Nothing

%>
    </body>
    </html>

Great ! More about business logic... (reply)

Let me put my ideas on paper. I&#39;ll mail you something Tuesday night.

------------
    Frank Kwong at 8/31/00 4:09:33 PM

Pierre,
    The UNO version is the latest configueration that a single (UNO) DLL supporting all the differnt versions via an ID file. This configueration eliminates incompatibilities between versions. If you have not ordered anything yet, you&#39;ll be getting the UNO for sure. So this would not be any issue for you.

Business logic can usually be done in the asp file or in the DLL (Security). ASP-db is just a pass through and a data presenter. It is capable of grabbing data from diffrent sources (ala data warehouse) and integrate them into a single report. Data can be a grid, a graphical chart and many other foms. Tables are normally left untouched and data transformation is done with the build-in functions of ASP-db. That is why when the data changes platform, the ASP-db code will not change !!

E-mail me at frank@aspdb.com for new ideas and your Simple Provider implementation.

Frank

------------
    Pierre Carbonnelle at 8/31/00 12:41:24 PM

Pierre Carbonnelle
    ------------

Pierre,

FK

------------

Go to www.wrox.com

Thanks again.
    Pierre Carbonnelle

------------

FK

------------

The code is below:
    <html>
    <body>

<%@ Language=VBScript%>
    <%
    Dim conn
    Dim rs
    dim x

conn.Open

X.dbRecordSet = rs
    X.dbUnit = 101

X.ASPdbPro

conn.Close
    Set conn = Nothing

%>
    </body>
    </html>