Thread: asdb-Free and Access 2000

Shaun Tate Guest

asdb-Free and Access 2000

I can not connect to an Access 2000 database using asdb-Free. Is there anything I can do to make this possible other than converting all my 2000 databases to 97 format?

Mark Guest

asdb-Free and Access 2000 (reply)

Shaun,
    You should be able to read an Access 2000 database with ASP-db. Are you getting an error message? What is it? Try to connect to your database using the diagnostic program supplied called pureasp.asp. If that doesn't work, the problem is NOT with ASP-db as pureasp.asp doesn't even use the component. The problem could be with your DSN, path name, or tablename.
    Mark.

------------
    Shaun Tate at 12/17/99 9:51:31 AM

I can not connect to an Access 2000 database using asdb-Free. Is there anything I can do to make this possible other than converting all my 2000 databases to 97 format?

Shaun Tate Guest

Here is the error message I am getting:
    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80004005'

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver] Can't open database '(unknown)'. It may not be a database that your application recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.

/aspdb/testpage.asp, line 46

Here is the message I get with pureasp.asp:
    Object created

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.

/aspdb/PureASP.asp, line 31

Thanks for your quick responses. This seems like a great utility.

------------
    Mark at 12/17/99 9:58:41 AM

Shaun,
    You should be able to read an Access 2000 database with ASP-db. Are you getting an error message? What is it? Try to connect to your database using the diagnostic program supplied called pureasp.asp. If that doesn't work, the problem is NOT with ASP-db as pureasp.asp doesn't even use the component. The problem could be with your DSN, path name, or tablename.
    Mark.

------------

Tom J. Guest

I am having the same exact problem!!!!! I running the pro-eval with an access 2000 db. Everything works great in netscape, but i get the 8004005 error in IE 5.0. What's going on? The results I am getting in netscape are awesome, I really love the product, unfortunately, not all the clients use netscape. Thanks!

------------
    Shaun Tate at 12/17/99 10:22:11 AM

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver] Can't open database '(unknown)'. It may not be a database that your application recognizes, or the file may be corrupt.

Object created

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access 97 Driver] The Microsoft Jet database engine cannot open the file '(unknown)'. It is already opened exclusively by another user, or you need permission to view its data.

------------

Shaun,
    Mark.

------------

John Guest

Hi guys,

The fact the the pureasp.asp program can't read your database either, is a
    sign that it's not the fault of ASP-db, but rather an ODBC driver /
    permissions problem. Maybe there's an option in your DSN setting that will
    resolve the problem?

We'll play around with an Access 2000 file here and see if we can reproduce
    the problem. First guy to figure it out wins!

John

------------
    Tom J. at 12/17/99 10:12:14 PM

I am having the same exact problem!!!!! I running the pro-eval with an access 2000 db. Everything works great in netscape, but i get the 8004005 error in IE 5.0. What's going on? The results I am getting in netscape are awesome, I really love the product, unfortunately, not all the clients use netscape. Thanks!

------------
    Shaun Tate at 12/17/99 10:22:11 AM

Object created

------------

Shaun,
    Mark.

------------

Thomas J. Guest

User error, fixed the problem, my mdb was not specified correctly.

thanks,
    tom

------------