Thread: Informix and ASPDB

Joe Beernink Guest

Informix and ASPDB

I'm not sure if informix is supported, but I am able to pull up Informix Databases by using MyDB.dbDBType="SQL". But I have problems when I get to Adding records which have DATE fields:

Error: Invalid dbEditFlds field(s)- [effective_dt][discontinue_dt]

The two fields listed are the only editable date fields in the database table. MOst of the form shows up properly, except for those two fields...

Ideas? Is Informix going to be fully supported soon?

Thanks

Joe

Frank Kwong Guest

Informix and ASPDB (reply)

Joe,
    Give me the following info for Informix and I'll incorporate it -

1. What is the default date format ? For example - Access = #mm/dd/yy hh:mm:ss#, Sybase = 'YYYY/MM/DD HH:MM:SS'. Make sure you include the proper "wrapper".

2. Give an example of SELECT statement with fields that embedded spaces in it. Also specify what charater is not legal/illegal in field names.

Please also indicate whether you want to test the release that supports Informix after I made the patches.

Frank

------------
    Joe Beernink at 11/14/00 11:14:38 AM

I'm not sure if informix is supported, but I am able to pull up Informix Databases by using MyDB.dbDBType="SQL". But I have problems when I get to Adding records which have DATE fields:

The two fields listed are the only editable date fields in the database table. MOst of the form shows up properly, except for those two fields...

Thanks

Joe

Joe Beernink Guest

Frank,

The defeault date format, unfortunately, can vary from database to database. Version 3.31 of the Informix Driver for NT and earlier use a variable called DBDATE to dictate the setting for the client, but the default date format at the server can be anything... In Version 3.32 and later of the Informix Drivers, the date format is pulled from the regional settings of the PC. (Informix really sucks when it comes to handling dates, and is the bain of my existance... but I wasn't involved in choosing the database vendor here.) Also, using to_date in an insert statment or update statement (outside of the where clause) is illegal in Informix

We would be willing to act as a beta test site for an Informix ready release. Since informix is so complicated, you'd be best to find the answers you need at www.informix.com. All their documentation is on-line and searchable.

Sorry I can't be more help...

Thanks

Joe
    ------------
    Frank Kwong at 11/14/00 2:09:24 PM

Joe,

1. What is the default date format ? For example - Access = #mm/dd/yy hh:mm:ss#, Sybase = 'YYYY/MM/DD HH:MM:SS'. Make sure you include the proper "wrapper".

2. Give an example of SELECT statement with fields that embedded spaces in it. Also specify what charater is not legal/illegal in field names.

Please also indicate whether you want to test the release that supports Informix after I made the patches.

Frank

------------

Thanks

Joe

Frank Kwong Guest

Joem
    If you are not willing to spend time then I have to leave it at that. It is more than reading the manual, instead I need somebody to test it in the real Informix DB. But, what ever the date format is, there is a user controllable format in ASP-db you can use todefeat that. As for embedded spaces in field/table names. To be safe, don't use it and it'll be OK.

FK

------------
    Joe Beernink at 11/16/00 7:05:44 PM

Frank,

The defeault date format, unfortunately, can vary from database to database. Version 3.31 of the Informix Driver for NT and earlier use a variable called DBDATE to dictate the setting for the client, but the default date format at the server can be anything... In Version 3.32 and later of the Informix Drivers, the date format is pulled from the regional settings of the PC. (Informix really sucks when it comes to handling dates, and is the bain of my existance... but I wasn't involved in choosing the database vendor here.) Also, using to_date in an insert statment or update statement (outside of the where clause) is illegal in Informix

We would be willing to act as a beta test site for an Informix ready release. Since informix is so complicated, you'd be best to find the answers you need at www.informix.com. All their documentation is on-line and searchable.

Sorry I can't be more help...

Thanks

Joe
    ------------
    Frank Kwong at 11/14/00 2:09:24 PM

Joe,

Frank

------------

Thanks

Joe

Joe Beernink Guest

I found at least part of the problem:

1) You have to explicitly set MyDB.dbOption = "DateFormat='mm/dd/yyyy';" or set the format to whatever the default date format is for the Informix Database you are working with.
    2) If you are using Informix Drivers 3.30 or later, your Regional Settings for your Date-Time format on your web server must match this format. If you are using earlier drivers, then you must set the DBDATE variable appropriately
    3) You can only insert to a date field, not a date-time field in Informix, unless all your fields are defined as date-times and set the dbOption above to include time fields

So the question is, is there a way to have some fields insert as 'mm/dd/yyyy' and other fields (on the same table) insert as 'mm/dd/yyyy hh:MM:ss'? If we can find a way to get this to work, I think ASPDB will work with any Informix Database.

Ideas?

Thanks

Joe

------------

Thanks

Joe