Thread: 80004005 AGAIN!! - MDAC 2.5??

Ted Moore Guest

80004005 AGAIN!! - MDAC 2.5??

Dear Forum,

Well, I lost yet another hard drive and am re-installing ASPdb Pro for about the fourth time on my local system.

Unlike the previous installs, I am totally unable to get past the evil 80004005 error. It was an impasse like this that made me switch to wonderful ASPdb from that wretched and worthless Visual InterDev two years ago. But I digress.

"Justasp" works, but "pure-asp" does not work. I have unregistered, deleted and re-registered ASPdb several times to no avail. System DSN ODBCs are set up, PWS directories are shared and executable.

When I first installed PWS, I discovered MS is now offering MDAC 2.5 and proceeded to upgrade. Thinking this may be the problem I have since uninstalled PWS and re-installed using only the 2.1 MDAC upgrade. Each time I have installed PWS, I get an error in the MTS portion, but it finishes installing without MTS.

Now, I see that in an older discussion, Mark suggested the following to determine the ADO version:

<%
    set cnn = Server.CreateObject (&#34;ADODB.Connection&#34
    response.write(&#34;<BR>ADO Version = &#34; & cnn.Version )
    %>

I get ADO = 2.5. Isn&#39;t ADO part of MDAC and does this mean it doesn&#39;t uninstall properly? Is ASPdb compatible with MDAC 2.5? ADO 2.5? Am I destined to live in 80004005 hell until I reformat and go to Linux? Will ASPdb run on ChileASP for Linux?

Thanks in advance for your help
    &#34;Twitching&#34; Ted Moore
    2 Year ASPdb Veteran

Frank Guest

80004005 AGAIN!! - MDAC 2.5?? (reply)

This is one of the good reason to upgrade to W2000. The NT IIS/ASP/ADO install requires a lot of attnetion. In W2000, it is all included. ADO 2.5 is for W2000 and not NT. From your description, Try the following -

1. Get the latest Pro version from Sals/support.aspdb.com.
    2. Do not regsvr32 to register instead use the MMC to install teh DLL in teh MTS - &#34;The Ball&#34;. It&#39;ll then be a lot more stable and your server can take a lot more hits and it suppots transactions.
    3. Remember to running the SP5 after the entire install.

FK

------------
    Ted Moore at 3/21/00 2:34:17 AM

Dear Forum,

Well, I lost yet another hard drive and am re-installing ASPdb Pro for about the fourth time on my local system.

Unlike the previous installs, I am totally unable to get past the evil 80004005 error. It was an impasse like this that made me switch to wonderful ASPdb from that wretched and worthless Visual InterDev two years ago. But I digress.

&#34;Justasp&#34; works, but &#34;pure-asp&#34; does not work. I have unregistered, deleted and re-registered ASPdb several times to no avail. System DSN ODBCs are set up, PWS directories are shared and executable.

When I first installed PWS, I discovered MS is now offering MDAC 2.5 and proceeded to upgrade. Thinking this may be the problem I have since uninstalled PWS and re-installed using only the 2.1 MDAC upgrade. Each time I have installed PWS, I get an error in the MTS portion, but it finishes installing without MTS.

Now, I see that in an older discussion, Mark suggested the following to determine the ADO version:

<%
    %>

I get ADO = 2.5. Isn&#39;t ADO part of MDAC and does this mean it doesn&#39;t uninstall properly? Is ASPdb compatible with MDAC 2.5? ADO 2.5? Am I destined to live in 80004005 hell until I reformat and go to Linux? Will ASPdb run on ChileASP for Linux?

2 Year ASPdb Veteran

Ted Moore Guest

Thank you for the prompt response, Frank. It looks like I&#39;ll have to go Windows 2000. It is probably faster and cheaper to drive two hours, buy W2K, and install it rather than try to troubleshoot my current MS patch-work quilt (I&#39;ve already spent several days on it). I&#39;ve got work to do. Thanks for your input. Ted

------------
    Frank at 3/21/00 9:35:31 AM

This is one of the good reason to upgrade to W2000. The NT IIS/ASP/ADO install requires a lot of attnetion. In W2000, it is all included. ADO 2.5 is for W2000 and not NT. From your description, Try the following -

2. Do not regsvr32 to register instead use the MMC to install teh DLL in teh MTS - &#34;The Ball&#34;. It&#39;ll then be a lot more stable and your server can take a lot more hits and it suppots transactions.

FK

------------

Dear Forum,

&#34;Justasp&#34; works, but &#34;pure-asp&#34; does not work. I have unregistered, deleted and re-registered ASPdb several times to no avail. System DSN ODBCs are set up, PWS directories are shared and executable.

<%
    %>

2 Year ASPdb Veteran

Frank Guest

I think it is a good decision. I have been using W2000 & ASPDB for a good while and have not seen any ill effect. Still, remember to get the latest version from support. If you got the right version you&#39;ll see the MTS &#34;ball&#34; and see the transaction supported box checked in the MMC.

FK

------------
    Ted Moore at 3/21/00 11:14:23 AM

Thank you for the prompt response, Frank. It looks like I&#39;ll have to go Windows 2000. It is probably faster and cheaper to drive two hours, buy W2K, and install it rather than try to troubleshoot my current MS patch-work quilt (I&#39;ve already spent several days on it). I&#39;ve got work to do. Thanks for your input. Ted

------------
    Frank at 3/21/00 9:35:31 AM

FK

------------

Dear Forum,

<%
    %>

2 Year ASPdb Veteran