Thread: ASP-db Documentation

Paul Woods Guest

ASP-db Documentation

I am a relatively new user of ASP-db. While I appreciate the fact that a component like ASP-db is available and I can see how it may save me many hours in the future, I am continually frustrated with the amount of time it takes to find the documentation and programming examples I need.

It seems like every time I have a question, I have to browse through 3-5 different resources, including this forum, to find what I need. There are the property examples, different sets of programming examples, documentation, FAQs, etc. Much of it is not searchable. In many places information is incomplete, or there is little if any background information given.

Don't get me wrong, so far ASP-db seems like a good product. I'd just like to suggest that an effort be made to consolidate some of this info, make it more complete, and make it searchable. It would really help to improve the learning curve.

John Guest

ASP-db Documentation (reply)

Hi Paul,

You're right, the information was spread around in too many places.
    Not long ago, we combined all the resources into one searchable tool.
    Hopefully it will be a much better and richer source of information and
    examples. You will find it at our web site at: www.aspdb.com/properties

Give that a try and see if it helps. Thanks for the feedback,

John

------------
    Paul Woods at 4/10/00 12:40:40 PM

I am a relatively new user of ASP-db. While I appreciate the fact that a component like ASP-db is available and I can see how it may save me many hours in the future, I am continually frustrated with the amount of time it takes to find the documentation and programming examples I need.

It seems like every time I have a question, I have to browse through 3-5 different resources, including this forum, to find what I need. There are the property examples, different sets of programming examples, documentation, FAQs, etc. Much of it is not searchable. In many places information is incomplete, or there is little if any background information given.

Don't get me wrong, so far ASP-db seems like a good product. I'd just like to suggest that an effort be made to consolidate some of this info, make it more complete, and make it searchable. It would really help to improve the learning curve.

Paul Woods Guest

But the property examples don't contain all of the same information that the other examples do. (Do they?)

I find myself looking there, and then searching everywhere else. Often times, I find the answer somewhere else. Many times, I find it under a subject heading that didn't seem to apply at first glance.

Then, later on I always have to ask myself "now where did I see that..." and the process starts again.

------------
    John at 4/10/00 4:27:10 PM

Hi Paul,

John

------------

Frank Guest

What ever happened to that expensive looking hardcover manual. Does it has all the info you need ? You are right, you have the dynamic manual, the non-searchable examples, some case studies, some old FAQs etc.... ASPDB is growing so fast that the documentation is lacking. But it is also a fact that when I looked at my bookshelf and scan thru all the software and I do not see one that has so much information and examples. Only if it can be organized.

FK

------------
    Paul Woods at 4/10/00 4:38:34 PM

But the property examples don't contain all of the same information that the other examples do. (Do they?)

I find myself looking there, and then searching everywhere else. Often times, I find the answer somewhere else. Many times, I find it under a subject heading that didn't seem to apply at first glance.

Then, later on I always have to ask myself "now where did I see that..." and the process starts again.

------------
    John at 4/10/00 4:27:10 PM

Hi Paul,

John

------------