Thread: Drill down fields

Bruce Arp Guest

Drill down fields

Is there a way to limit what fields are shown when someone "drills down" after running a filter? I have it set up to filter on a corporate employee database, but when someone gets their list of employees they searched for, and then you click on the employee of you choice, I only want it to show some of the information, not everything in the database.

I am using ASP-dbFree, just downloaded it Friday and am getting to know it better.

Bruce

Mark Guest

Drill down fields (reply)

Bruce,
    See Programming Example D34b at:
    http://www.aspdb.com/apps/mh-cars2.asp
    Maybe that will help.
    Mark.

------------
    Bruce Arp at 4/17/00 11:54:27 AM

Is there a way to limit what fields are shown when someone "drills down" after running a filter? I have it set up to filter on a corporate employee database, but when someone gets their list of employees they searched for, and then you click on the employee of you choice, I only want it to show some of the information, not everything in the database.

I am using ASP-dbFree, just downloaded it Friday and am getting to know it better.

Bruce

Bruce Arp Guest

That doesn't really help Mark, what I am looking for would be if say after I entered Ford on the page that you gave me, it showed me the list of cars like it does. Then, the car model would be a link to more info about that car, like if I clicked on Aspire, it would take me to more info about the Aspire but it would only show me certain information, not the whole record for that car, yet more information than what the query results were.
    Say the initial query went against a table that had the following fields:
    Brand, Model, Year, Mileage, Warranty, Options, RetailPrice, InvoicePrice, Rebates, Color, Cost, AVGRepair, InStock, OnOrder, and Recalls.
    Now, when I got my results from entering Ford, I would get all the Ford models, and when I clicked on Aspire I would get Brand, Model, Year, Mileage, Warranty, Options, RetailPrice, and InvoicePrice but it would not show me Rebates, Color, Cost, AVGRepair, InStock, OnOrder or Recalls fields.

Can I do this or would I need to put my info in two different databases.

Bruce

------------
    Mark at 4/17/00 4:17:40 PM

Bruce,
    Maybe that will help.
    Mark.

------------

Bruce

Fardad Guest

I am kindda new and fresh into this. but I have a pretty simple solution to you problem I think.
    You can make a view of your table that only include the fields you want to show and drill down to that view.
    ------------
    Frank at 4/18/00 10:24:52 PM

Do it in two modules if you have only 2 level deep. The dbSQL in both modules contains queries with the desired fields. Pass the key when click the 1st module and construct the query for the second module. Detect the clicked unit to gain entry to the correct module.

FK

------------
    Bruce Arp at 4/17/00 4:29:04 PM

That doesn't really help Mark, what I am looking for would be if say after I entered Ford on the page that you gave me, it showed me the list of cars like it does. Then, the car model would be a link to more info about that car, like if I clicked on Aspire, it would take me to more info about the Aspire but it would only show me certain information, not the whole record for that car, yet more information than what the query results were.
    Say the initial query went against a table that had the following fields:
    Brand, Model, Year, Mileage, Warranty, Options, RetailPrice, InvoicePrice, Rebates, Color, Cost, AVGRepair, InStock, OnOrder, and Recalls.
    Now, when I got my results from entering Ford, I would get all the Ford models, and when I clicked on Aspire I would get Brand, Model, Year, Mileage, Warranty, Options, RetailPrice, and InvoicePrice but it would not show me Rebates, Color, Cost, AVGRepair, InStock, OnOrder or Recalls fields.

Can I do this or would I need to put my info in two different databases.

Bruce

------------
    Mark at 4/17/00 4:17:40 PM

Bruce,
    Maybe that will help.
    Mark.

------------

Bruce