Thread: IIS 4.0 and ODBC with MSAccess

Mark Fell-Crook Guest

IIS 4.0 and ODBC with MSAccess

is it possible to have a data server say called "data" and a web server called "web" running iis 4.0, can I point the odbc source on the web server to a MSAccess database of the data server?

I've tried doing it but then front page gives a load of errors saying it can't connect. If you copy the database to the web server and modify the odbc source it works fine. Trouble is everyone updates the database from the data server, but the want the data display on the intranet..

Any ideas???????

Cheers Mark

John Guest

IIS 4.0 and ODBC with MSAccess (reply)

Hi Mark,

Unfortunately, Access wasn't designed to be used as an enterprise database
    solution so it's not able to do this. SQL Server on the other hand is perfect for this. My suggestion is to either move the database to the web server, or to upgrade to SQL Server (or Oracle) and then you'll be able to have separate machines for data servers and web servers.

Thanks,
    John

------------
    Mark Fell-Crook at 6/30/00 6:39:39 AM

is it possible to have a data server say called "data" and a web server called "web" running iis 4.0, can I point the odbc source on the web server to a MSAccess database of the data server?

I've tried doing it but then front page gives a load of errors saying it can't connect. If you copy the database to the web server and modify the odbc source it works fine. Trouble is everyone updates the database from the data server, but the want the data display on the intranet..

Any ideas???????

Cheers Mark