Thread: ASP-db Permissions

Paul Woods Guest

ASP-db Permissions

I'm having a problem with ASP-db that I think might be related to permissions. I am using ASP-db EP v6-2931.

My web server is running Windows 2000 and IIS 5. I have it in it's own workgroup, i.e. it's not a member of our primary domain. The only user account on the machine is Administrator.

The database (MS SQL Server) I am trying to access is a member of the primary domain. In the past I have successfully used ASP-db to access this database from a web server that was also a member of the domain.

When I installed ASP-db, I did so through Component Services and specified the local Administrator account when prompted for the account under which ASP-db would be run. I'm not sure I like that idea, but for now I went ahead with it since it is the only user account on the system.

I have verified that the test page (modified from asp-test-pro.asp for EP) works with the supplied test db. I have also verified that a plain ASP page can successfully access the database via OLE-DB.

Here's the problem:

When I try to use ASP-db to access the database, I get the following error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server (0x80004005)
    [DBNMPNTW]ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()).

My initial guess is that this must be some kind of permissions problem related to ASP-db since it doesn't seem that a connection can even be established. I am using the exact same connect string as I do for the plain ASP page that works.

So my question is, does ASP-db need to run under a domain user account that has access to the database in question (regardless of the fact that a valid user account is specified in the connect string)? Or is there some other kind of requirement for the ASP-db user account that might be missing here?

Paul Woods Guest

ASP-db Permissions (reply)

John-

I think I've found part of the problem. Note that I am using OLE-DB here, not ODBC, so I have not set up any DSNs. However, I made a discovery while trying to set up a DSN per your instructions below.

The problem appears to be related to the fact that this web server is not in the primary domain where the database resides. I found that by using the IP address instead of the server name in dbDSN I was able to get things to work. Without the IP address, it doesn't seem to be able to find the database server.

However, what still seems odd to me is that a plain ASP page has no problem getting to the database server using just the server name. Why would ASP-db require the IP address?

Paul

------------
    John at 7/21/00 10:18:05 AM

Hi Paul,

It does sound like a permission problem. So you entered a specific administrator level acct to create the package in (in MTS)? If you chose the Currently Logged on User, then it would need permission, and of course you'd have to be logged on.

Can you try and create a DSN that contains your connection string and point to that DSN? Then you could use the PUREASP.ASP program with that DSN and if it works try the BASIC.ASP program with the same DSN.

Let us know,
    John

------------
    Paul Woods at 7/19/00 6:07:50 PM

I'm having a problem with ASP-db that I think might be related to permissions. I am using ASP-db EP v6-2931.

My web server is running Windows 2000 and IIS 5. I have it in it's own workgroup, i.e. it's not a member of our primary domain. The only user account on the machine is Administrator.

The database (MS SQL Server) I am trying to access is a member of the primary domain. In the past I have successfully used ASP-db to access this database from a web server that was also a member of the domain.

When I installed ASP-db, I did so through Component Services and specified the local Administrator account when prompted for the account under which ASP-db would be run. I'm not sure I like that idea, but for now I went ahead with it since it is the only user account on the system.

I have verified that the test page (modified from asp-test-pro.asp for EP) works with the supplied test db. I have also verified that a plain ASP page can successfully access the database via OLE-DB.

Here's the problem:

When I try to use ASP-db to access the database, I get the following error:

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server (0x80004005)
    [DBNMPNTW]ConnectionOpen (CreateFile()).

My initial guess is that this must be some kind of permissions problem related to ASP-db since it doesn't seem that a connection can even be established. I am using the exact same connect string as I do for the plain ASP page that works.

So my question is, does ASP-db need to run under a domain user account that has access to the database in question (regardless of the fact that a valid user account is specified in the connect string)? Or is there some other kind of requirement for the ASP-db user account that might be missing here?