Thread: mystery session var?

Leha Guest

mystery session var?

Hi:

Almost done with this whole project <phwew!> but there is just one insidious problem I can&#39;t figure a workaround for.

I have tables displaying with links to more specifically filtered data in subsequent pages, and I am getting some peculiar
    behavior with the number of records displayed. It does not appear to be the recordCount at fault, as I have added that
    as a response.write line and it&#39;s always fine. What happens typically goes like this:

click a link to a list of 3 amphibians (all they have recorded at this one park);
    use the browser back button to return to the page on the park data;
    click the link to 238 birds (or any number greater than the number of critters generated last time);
    get a page with a record count of 238 birds, but the select box (or grid) only shows the first 3;

Seems to indicate that a variable is not getting reset, but I don&#39;t know how to get at it or which one it is.

If it were not for the need to use select boxes and various navigation buttons, I would just call a Session.Abandon
    and that would fix it, but that trashes everything else that ASPdb is trying to use.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Leha

John Guest

mystery session var? (reply)

Hi Leha,

1) Make sure you use different dbUnit values for each page & code block on each page.

2) Use different object names i.e. Set X=Server.Create... and Set Y=Server...

See if that helps. You may need to use dbReset but that&#39;s normally only when the dbSQL changes. Sounds like you&#39;re using BACK and returning to the same page so that may not be it.

Thanks,
    John

------------
    Leha at 7/17/00 11:59:40 PM

Hi:

Almost done with this whole project <phwew!> but there is just one insidious problem I can&#39;t figure a workaround for.

I have tables displaying with links to more specifically filtered data in subsequent pages, and I am getting some peculiar
    behavior with the number of records displayed. It does not appear to be the recordCount at fault, as I have added that
    as a response.write line and it&#39;s always fine. What happens typically goes like this:

click a link to a list of 3 amphibians (all they have recorded at this one park);
    click the link to 238 birds (or any number greater than the number of critters generated last time);
    get a page with a record count of 238 birds, but the select box (or grid) only shows the first 3;

Seems to indicate that a variable is not getting reset, but I don&#39;t know how to get at it or which one it is.

If it were not for the need to use select boxes and various navigation buttons, I would just call a Session.Abandon
    and that would fix it, but that trashes everything else that ASPdb is trying to use.

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Leha

Mark Guest

Leha,

This is a very common problem. You MUST use dbReset(n) anytime your SQL statement changes. See Example 5a at http://www.aspdb.com/apps/default.asp
    Type in a name, such as Mark, then click Submit. Then when the grid comes up, click to View the source code of http://www.aspdb.com/apps/mh-sql2.asp

That should help you with your problem.

Mark.

------------
    John at 7/18/00 12:04:19 AM

Hi Leha,

1) Make sure you use different dbUnit values for each page & code block on each page.

See if that helps. You may need to use dbReset but that&#39;s normally only when the dbSQL changes. Sounds like you&#39;re using BACK and returning to the same page so that may not be it.

Thanks,
    John

------------

Hi:

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Leha

Leha Guest

Hi, Mark:

Yes, but these are different db units (not the same page with differnt SQL queries), and all the other variables seem to be getting reset properly.

I should mention in response to John&#39;s reply, that yes, I have different names for each instance and different dbUnit numbers.

I&#39;ll try playing with dbReset, though, as in the example.

Thanks,

Leha

------------
    Mark at 7/18/00 9:36:01 AM

Leha,

This is a very common problem. You MUST use dbReset(n) anytime your SQL statement changes. See Example 5a at http://www.aspdb.com/apps/default.asp
    Type in a name, such as Mark, then click Submit. Then when the grid comes up, click to View the source code of http://www.aspdb.com/apps/mh-sql2.asp

That should help you with your problem.

Mark.

------------
    John at 7/18/00 12:04:19 AM

Hi Leha,

Thanks,
    John

------------

Hi:

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Leha

Leha Guest

mystery session var? (reply)--oops!

My bad! John, you were right. It was a dbUnit number issue. I thought I had them all properly numbered,
    but I must have done some sloppy cut-and-paste revisions. Sorry to take up your time on that!

Leha

------------

Hi:

Any ideas?

Thank you!

Leha