Thread: Field Names with Spaces

Mark Morris Guest

Field Names with Spaces

Hi, Everyone,

I know i should not do this, anyway
    I have put spaces in my field names to improve presentation when the fields are displayed, all seems to work however, when i use the filter routine
    i have a field called "Last Name" and when i try and filter using its giving me the error

Error: No record found
    SELECT COUNT(*) as c FROM imgbank WHERE ("Last Name" = 'Morris&#39

if i change the field name to "LastName"

the same filter works

Now i know i can change the field headings using templates, but that seems rather complicated and you have to use a template for each mode (display add, filter),

can you provide an example of using templates to replace field names or is there a way i can use the dbUserLocalText property to replace my fieldnames

which would you suggest

Frank Kwong Guest

Field Names with Spaces (reply)

space in field names should be OK. The proper way is to use a sensible field name and use the namemap (like caption in Access) to display the alias. State what DB you are using (Access or SQL).

FK

------------
    Mark Morris at 11/2/01 9:26:24 PM

Hi, Everyone,

I have put spaces in my field names to improve presentation when the fields are displayed, all seems to work however, when i use the filter routine
    i have a field called "Last Name" and when i try and filter using its giving me the error

SELECT COUNT(*) as c FROM imgbank WHERE ("Last Name" = 'Morris&#39

if i change the field name to "LastName"

the same filter works

Now i know i can change the field headings using templates, but that seems rather complicated and you have to use a template for each mode (display add, filter),

can you provide an example of using templates to replace field names or is there a way i can use the dbUserLocalText property to replace my fieldnames

which would you suggest

Mark Morris Guest

Field Names with Spaces (reply)

I'm using Access however

shortly after writing this i did find the namemap function.

I am still interested in using templates, as i've seen you can't
    make individual fields larger when you are editing records.

if you imagine i'm trying to hold an address field as a regular text field
    in access using carriage returns to break the lines up <CR>

are there any examples of using templates to format fields to different
    sizes

Thanks

------------
    Frank Kwong at 11/3/01 2:53:24 AM

space in field names should be OK. The proper way is to use a sensible field name and use the namemap (like caption in Access) to display the alias. State what DB you are using (Access or SQL).

FK

------------
    Mark Morris at 11/2/01 9:26:24 PM

Hi, Everyone,

i have a field called &#34;Last Name&#34; and when i try and filter using its giving me the error

SELECT COUNT(*) as c FROM imgbank WHERE (&#34;Last Name&#34; = &#39;Morris&#39

if i change the field name to &#34;LastName&#34;

the same filter works

which would you suggest