Thread: Bug found in Download & Download Performance Issues

Will Schneider Guest

Bug found in Download & Download Performance Issues

Hello all,

I am running SQL 7.0 SP3 on NT4.0
    IIS 5.0 on WIN 2000 Server SP2 PIII 800MHz 512 MB RAM
    ASPDB Version - EP- 6.ASPDB2001-04.13-SP3-ADO21-MTS-Std

First a bug that I can't seem to find the answer to. When I have any download from any recordset (including one from the pubs DB) I get some HTML in the last row of my spreadsheet.

The other problem is download performance. I read two posts concerning this one was from 4/30/01 and his problem is the same as mine. I collected some data about the download speed and have found the following:

The speed can be determined by the number of fieldscells (rows X columns) and relates to this linear function
    y = 1434.6x -66.545 where y = fields and x = time (R2 of 0.9758)

What this means for me is that to download the excel limit of 2^16 rows and only 80 columns wide it will take 60 mins to compile the download. This is just the time required to bring the dialog box to the browser asking where to place the file.

My users will be downloading very large recordsets that will approach the excel limit at times. If you apply the equation above, for a two minute wait you can get the following:
    Columns Records
    -------- --------
    5 34417
    10 17209
    15 11472
    20 8604
    25 6883
    30 5736
    35 4917

I need to be able to do about 20 columns and 34000 records in less than a minute if possible. If I run the query in query analyzer the longest one returns in under 30 seconds. If I run an export from Enterprise Manager to and excel or csv file it returns in 30 seconds.

There appears to be a lot of overhead in the dll. When using performance monitor we have been able to track the bottleneck down to the ASPDb dll. It runs the processor at about 70-100% utilization for the duration of the request. This is with one user requesting the file on the local network and no other traffic to the server. I am very hesitant to release this to clients and have several of them hit it and bring the server to its knees.

I have set the response.buffer = true and the dbCount SQL statement. Is there anything else you can suggest. I have stripped the code down to the bare essentials in hopes of reducing the overhead and it did not seem to make a difference.

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Will Schneider

Frank Kwong Guest

Bug found in Download & Download Performance Issues (reply)

1. The download alien HTML code proble should be fixed. Contact your agent for the latest version. If still there, then let me know right away.

2. Large download is a problem. This problem has beeen addressed and I am going to setup a demo to let user try it. HOwever, this solution is not port to the existing versions yet at this time and it is on the 2002 version only. What I did is write the download file to a local file and let user download the file like any other files w/o going thru ASP-db. Send me an email and I'll point you to the demo when it is ready.

FK

------------
    Will Schneider at 7/10/01 3:06:49 PM

Hello all,

First a bug that I can't seem to find the answer to. When I have any download from any recordset (including one from the pubs DB) I get some HTML in the last row of my spreadsheet.

The other problem is download performance. I read two posts concerning this one was from 4/30/01 and his problem is the same as mine. I collected some data about the download speed and have found the following:

The speed can be determined by the number of fieldscells (rows X columns) and relates to this linear function

What this means for me is that to download the excel limit of 2^16 rows and only 80 columns wide it will take 60 mins to compile the download. This is just the time required to bring the dialog box to the browser asking where to place the file.

My users will be downloading very large recordsets that will approach the excel limit at times. If you apply the equation above, for a two minute wait you can get the following:
    Columns Records
    -------- --------
    5 34417
    10 17209
    15 11472
    20 8604
    25 6883
    30 5736
    35 4917

I need to be able to do about 20 columns and 34000 records in less than a minute if possible. If I run the query in query analyzer the longest one returns in under 30 seconds. If I run an export from Enterprise Manager to and excel or csv file it returns in 30 seconds.

There appears to be a lot of overhead in the dll. When using performance monitor we have been able to track the bottleneck down to the ASPDb dll. It runs the processor at about 70-100% utilization for the duration of the request. This is with one user requesting the file on the local network and no other traffic to the server. I am very hesitant to release this to clients and have several of them hit it and bring the server to its knees.

I have set the response.buffer = true and the dbCount SQL statement. Is there anything else you can suggest. I have stripped the code down to the bare essentials in hopes of reducing the overhead and it did not seem to make a difference.

Will Schneider

Will Schneider Guest

Some Performance Help

Thanks for the quick response. I look forward to talking to you. Also for other users out there we made a few changes that improved the download performance by somewhere between 10-25%

Make the paging file on your web server static and not scalable by windows and make the inetinfo process the highest priority.
    WCS

------------
    Frank Kwong at 7/10/01 9:03:59 PM

1. The download alien HTML code proble should be fixed. Contact your agent for the latest version. If still there, then let me know right away.

2. Large download is a problem. This problem has beeen addressed and I am going to setup a demo to let user try it. HOwever, this solution is not port to the existing versions yet at this time and it is on the 2002 version only. What I did is write the download file to a local file and let user download the file like any other files w/o going thru ASP-db. Send me an email and I'll point you to the demo when it is ready.

FK

------------

Hello all,

Columns Records
    -------- --------
    5 34417
    10 17209
    15 11472
    20 8604
    25 6883
    30 5736
    35 4917

Will Schneider

Frank Kwong Guest

Some Performance Help (reply)

if there is a high demand of large download, I'll implement that in today's version.

FK

------------
    Will Schneider at 7/11/01 1:23:16 PM

Thanks for the quick response. I look forward to talking to you. Also for other users out there we made a few changes that improved the download performance by somewhere between 10-25%

Make the paging file on your web server static and not scalable by windows and make the inetinfo process the highest priority.
    WCS

------------

FK

------------

Hello all,

Columns Records
    -------- --------
    5 34417
    10 17209
    15 11472
    20 8604
    25 6883
    30 5736
    35 4917

Will Schneider

Will Schneider Guest

This is the primary reason we purchased the program PRETTY PLEASE can we have that version? -WCS

------------
    Frank Kwong at 7/11/01 10:51:37 PM

if there is a high demand of large download, I'll implement that in today's version.

FK

------------

WCS

------------

FK

------------

Hello all,

Columns Records
    -------- --------
    5 34417
    10 17209
    15 11472
    20 8604
    25 6883
    30 5736
    35 4917

Will Schneider

Will Schneider Guest

Download Bug (reply)

I believe that I am still getting the download bug described in my original post. Please advise if there is a specific version that I must be greater than to have it patched. Also I really need the more efficient download function. We are rolling out or page very shortly to the client base and I would like to include that in the options.

Thank you very much for your prompt responses.

Will Schneider

------------

Hello all,

Columns Records
    -------- --------
    5 34417
    10 17209
    15 11472
    20 8604
    25 6883
    30 5736
    35 4917

Will Schneider

Frank Kwong Guest

Download Bug (reply)

Did you contact the agent to get the latest version ?

------------
    Will Schneider at 7/16/01 10:09:54 AM

I believe that I am still getting the download bug described in my original post. Please advise if there is a specific version that I must be greater than to have it patched. Also I really need the more efficient download function. We are rolling out or page very shortly to the client base and I would like to include that in the options.

Will Schneider

------------

Hello all,

Columns Records
    -------- --------
    5 34417
    10 17209
    15 11472
    20 8604
    25 6883
    30 5736
    35 4917

Will Schneider

indra Guest

WE need the large download option. currently we use another product just for the download.

------------
    Frank Kwong at 7/11/01 10:51:37 PM

FK

------------

WCS

------------

FK

------------

Hello all,

Columns Records
    -------- --------
    5 34417
    10 17209
    15 11472
    20 8604
    25 6883
    30 5736
    35 4917

Will Schneider

Will Schneider Guest

Download Performance(reply)

The bug has been fixed in the newer version. Sorry about the confusion.

I do need that patch for the Download performance though. We are doing very large downloads (34,000 rows and 20-25 cols) and the current performance is unacceptable to our client base. We would like to continue to use ASP-DB but if we can't get better performance out of the download we'll have to look for another product.

Thank you for all your help in this matter and please let me know about a patch for the download performance.

WCS

------------
    Frank Kwong at 7/16/01 11:40:25 PM

------------

Will Schneider

------------

Hello all,

Columns Records
    -------- --------
    5 34417
    10 17209
    15 11472
    20 8604
    25 6883
    30 5736
    35 4917

Will Schneider

Fasih Guest

Download Performance(reply) (reply)

What is the version number that has this download problem fixed, How can I test that and how can I get that..

Fasih

------------
    Will Schneider at 7/17/01 12:31:34 PM

I do need that patch for the Download performance though. We are doing very large downloads (34,000 rows and 20-25 cols) and the current performance is unacceptable to our client base. We would like to continue to use ASP-DB but if we can't get better performance out of the download we'll have to look for another product.

Thank you for all your help in this matter and please let me know about a patch for the download performance.

WCS

------------

------------

Will Schneider

------------

Hello all,

Columns Records
    -------- --------
    5 34417
    10 17209
    15 11472
    20 8604
    25 6883
    30 5736
    35 4917

Will Schneider

Frank Kwong Guest

go to the patch/bug area and take a "slow" look.....

------------
    Fasih at 10/3/01 5:07:45 PM

What is the version number that has this download problem fixed, How can I test that and how can I get that..

Fasih

------------

WCS

------------

------------

Will Schneider

------------

Hello all,

Columns Records
    -------- --------
    5 34417
    10 17209
    15 11472
    20 8604
    25 6883
    30 5736
    35 4917

Will Schneider

Fasih Guest

Hi Frank thanks a lot for your prompt response. However, I could not make anything out of that patch/bugs area. I guess you are reffering to aspdb website and patches link. The only relavant information I could see was the release 9.01 and could not make anything out of it. Can you please help me out.

Thanks

Fasih

------------
    Frank Kwong at 10/3/01 6:40:37 PM

------------

Fasih

------------

WCS

------------

------------

Will Schneider

------------

Hello all,

Columns Records
    -------- --------
    5 34417
    10 17209
    15 11472
    20 8604
    25 6883
    30 5736
    35 4917

Will Schneider

Frank Kwong Guest

9.01 says -
    * color is cyan -> 2002 feature
    * A new feature dbLargeDownload=true will save the download file in the server and allow user to download via HREF instead of binary which is the reason for the bad performance.

So, if you have a manitenance contract, you can download the 2002 stuff and use this feature. You can also check it out in the new eval download in the site.

Your question is asked many times and we did something about it some time ago. The user tested 30,000 rows download at the time and he was happy. Search the forum using keyword "largedownload" and see whether you can locate the user who did the test and talk to him about it...

------------
    Fasih at 10/4/01 11:51:25 AM

Hi Frank thanks a lot for your prompt response. However, I could not make anything out of that patch/bugs area. I guess you are reffering to aspdb website and patches link. The only relavant information I could see was the release 9.01 and could not make anything out of it. Can you please help me out.

Thanks

Fasih

------------
    Frank Kwong at 10/3/01 6:40:37 PM

------------

Fasih

------------

WCS

------------

------------

Will Schneider

------------

Hello all,

Columns Records
    -------- --------
    5 34417
    10 17209
    15 11472
    20 8604
    25 6883
    30 5736
    35 4917

Will Schneider