Thread: MultiSeries Charts

H.Schuyler Collins III Guest

MultiSeries Charts

I am trying to determine how to combine different data series into a ASPdb chart. This is a pretty standard aspect of charting so I would guess I am just missing the key to this process.

An example would be where a dbDBType "SQL" statement returns a recordset that would contain 4 rows, and 4 numbers per row.
    I could identify the data in a 2 deminsional array in a manner as followa

Data(0,0), Data(1,0), Data(2,0) etc
    Data(0,1), Data(1,1), Data(2,1) etc
    Data(0,2), Data(1,2), Data(2,2) etc
    Data(0,3), Data(1,3), Data(2,3) etc

Each row is considered a series in standard charting terminology

The first step would be to return a chart where each series is represented by a distinguishing chart element, such as different colored lines or areas.

The list of "Business chart Types" that is displayed in the support doc's and on the various sites have several types that would seem fit this criteria.

All I need is to see one set of code that assigns the different series to different graphic elements in a chart and I'm fairly certain I can proceed from there.

IF there is an example(s) that shows hoe multiple series are assigned to unlike graphic elements as in the case of the a Column Line combo chart or Column area combo chart, all the better.

The next/final step would be to see if it is possible to control at any time the relationship/assignment of a given data series to the charting graphical element be it bars,lines,points,area etc

Any assistance anybody can give me would be sincerely appreciated !!!

Frank Kwong Guest

MultiSeries Charts (reply)

ASPdbChart can plot up to 40 sets of data.

1. When you say ROW , you really mean COLUMN or Fields in which you plot ? If what you mean is really a ROW, then you have to export and turn it into a set of user data.

2. Pick a standard example (Northwind, pubs etc) such that when the exercise is done, all users can use, I'll look around for one. If can't find one then I'll use an ASCII file.

Anybody wants to try this one ?

FK

------------
    H.Schuyler Collins III at 4/30/01 10:41:34 PM

I am trying to determine how to combine different data series into a ASPdb chart. This is a pretty standard aspect of charting so I would guess I am just missing the key to this process.

An example would be where a dbDBType "SQL" statement returns a recordset that would contain 4 rows, and 4 numbers per row.

The first step would be to return a chart where each series is represented by a distinguishing chart element, such as different colored lines or areas.

The list of "Business chart Types" that is displayed in the support doc's and on the various sites have several types that would seem fit this criteria.

All I need is to see one set of code that assigns the different series to different graphic elements in a chart and I'm fairly certain I can proceed from there.

IF there is an example(s) that shows hoe multiple series are assigned to unlike graphic elements as in the case of the a Column Line combo chart or Column area combo chart, all the better.

The next/final step would be to see if it is possible to control at any time the relationship/assignment of a given data series to the charting graphical element be it bars,lines,points,area etc

I was using the term "row" to represent each data series that is needed to be plotted. The overall use of the term was in reference to returning a "recordset" like object as a result of the code I used in a dbSQL statement.
    A row or series would in most cases have data points that originated as fields or columns.
    SO, if I understand your reply, to create a chart that displays more than one series, I need to provider the data as a set of User data.

SO what would be the syntax for using user data for a 2 series chart such as the Line Bar example? I think both series would still be Y values.I have noticed an option for Y2values, but when I tried to use that in a manner as below

dataset0yValues==#0#,#1#,#2#,#3#,#4#,#5#,#6#
    dataset0y2Values==#0#,#1#,#2#,#3#,#4#,#5#,#6#

for the result of a query that returns a recordset with 2 rows of 7 fields each,I was not able to get the proper results.

Are you saying that if I implictly define the data as user data I'll be on the right trtack ?
    ------------
    Frank Kwong at 4/30/01 11:57:09 PM

1. When you say ROW , you really mean COLUMN or Fields in which you plot ? If what you mean is really a ROW, then you have to export and turn it into a set of user data.

2. Pick a standard example (Northwind, pubs etc) such that when the exercise is done, all users can use, I'll look around for one. If can't find one then I'll use an ASCII file.

FK

------------

Frank Kwong Guest

If the data is from the Database's RS then I'l ltry to plot from there first. If the data needs to be transformed ot the data is coming in not ina column format, then I'll have to convert it to a set of userdata. Is should be relatively easy. I'll make an example as soon as I get to it. I just finished the web site move and clean up. In a day or so, I shoudlbe able to get on it. Now the big question -> Are you using the Designer to generate the graphs ? If not then you should try that right away. Just define the DB source and select the fields and then select the chart type, that's it....

FK

------------
    H.Schuyler Collins III at 5/1/01 12:44:11 PM

I was using the term "row" to represent each data series that is needed to be plotted. The overall use of the term was in reference to returning a "recordset" like object as a result of the code I used in a dbSQL statement.
    A row or series would in most cases have data points that originated as fields or columns.
    SO, if I understand your reply, to create a chart that displays more than one series, I need to provider the data as a set of User data.

SO what would be the syntax for using user data for a 2 series chart such as the Line Bar example? I think both series would still be Y values.I have noticed an option for Y2values, but when I tried to use that in a manner as below

for the result of a query that returns a recordset with 2 rows of 7 fields each,I was not able to get the proper results.

Are you saying that if I implictly define the data as user data I'll be on the right trtack ?
    ------------

FK

------------

H.Schuyler Collins Guest

Yes I am using Designer.
    The ability to connect to all needed types of data sources is very good. WIthin the Designer,I have tried to cover every possible combination of assignable objects,valuesparameters that are listed in the drop-down menu(s)for data series
    but have yet to have a chart plot more than one series.

THe example below would logical seem to me the way to add another series. Then if you limited the number of records to be available within ASPdb to 2, you should get 2 series in the chart, but so far I must still be missing something.

dataset1yValues==#0#,#1#,#2#,#3#,#4#,#5#,#6#

Since there are only 2 charting examples in all the sites and documentation, with neither demonstrating this type of functionality
    I have to conclude that the charting aspects of ASPdb are new and not considered a key feature to most users. I also allow for the fact that I am missing the one "key" that will unlock the issue for me.
    HOwever, I must also say that I need to resolve this issues quickly or move on to another charting componet.

Again, any assistance is appreciated.I also thank you for the previous reply's to my postings.

------------
    Frank Kwong at 5/2/01 12:46:18 AM

If the data is from the Database's RS then I'l ltry to plot from there first. If the data needs to be transformed ot the data is coming in not ina column format, then I'll have to convert it to a set of userdata. Is should be relatively easy. I'll make an example as soon as I get to it. I just finished the web site move and clean up. In a day or so, I shoudlbe able to get on it. Now the big question -> Are you using the Designer to generate the graphs ? If not then you should try that right away. Just define the DB source and select the fields and then select the chart type, that's it....

FK

------------

------------

FK

------------

Frank Kwong Guest

A lot o fusers use the charts and they just do not have such problems. Refer to your doc or use Designer to pointo the DOC's special topics and go through the ChartParams. You'll see some multiple series charts. Yout sample still shows your are trying to plot the Rows instead of the columns ? You can do that via an ASCII file in that format. Anyway, I'll post an example.

FK

------------
    H.Schuyler Collins at 5/2/01 6:21:12 PM

Yes I am using Designer.
    The ability to connect to all needed types of data sources is very good. WIthin the Designer,I have tried to cover every possible combination of assignable objects,valuesparameters that are listed in the drop-down menu(s)for data series

THe example below would logical seem to me the way to add another series. Then if you limited the number of records to be available within ASPdb to 2, you should get 2 series in the chart, but so far I must still be missing something.

Since there are only 2 charting examples in all the sites and documentation, with neither demonstrating this type of functionality
    I have to conclude that the charting aspects of ASPdb are new and not considered a key feature to most users. I also allow for the fact that I am missing the one "key" that will unlock the issue for me.
    HOwever, I must also say that I need to resolve this issues quickly or move on to another charting componet.

Again, any assistance is appreciated.I also thank you for the previous reply's to my postings.

------------

FK

------------

------------

FK

------------

Frank Kwong Guest

OK, I made one example and it took 5 minutes to generate the example but took 2 hours to put that in a presentable format !

1. Go to www.aspdb.com
    2. Click ADVANCED
    3. Go down to Charting and click Multiple Series Plot
    4. Read and try to follow. Click the Execute button to execute it. The source code has been "chopped" into multiple lines to make it easy to read. As you see it is actually 4 lines of code to do that.

This example plots 2 sets of data (modify yourself to make it 40 sets if you want) with different X values. I'll do one later without any X-values, that is, the X-axis will be the data points interval. Or may be you can make one and send to me ?

FK

------------
    Frank Kwong at 5/2/01 11:03:14 PM

A lot o fusers use the charts and they just do not have such problems. Refer to your doc or use Designer to pointo the DOC's special topics and go through the ChartParams. You'll see some multiple series charts. Yout sample still shows your are trying to plot the Rows instead of the columns ? You can do that via an ASCII file in that format. Anyway, I'll post an example.

FK

------------
    H.Schuyler Collins at 5/2/01 6:21:12 PM

Yes I am using Designer.

------------

FK

------------

------------

FK

------------

H.Schuyler Collins Guest

I want to thank you for the time and effort in posting the example

I now have the multi-series thing working for series that use that same display elements.

Where or what is the parameter for assigning different series to different graphic display elements as in the line/column example? I would ideally want to have 3 columns and a single line in the chart.
    I see what I think is the area in the documentation but am unclear how to apply it

For a Bar chart

Bar=barLabelsOn|barBaseline| etc

For a line chart

LineChart=plotLinesOff| dataset0Image | etc..

I see the structure of the parameters set out that if you have 3 series
    the code lists types of arguments in the sequence of the series as it goes through the different parameters, I just am unable to determine where the paramters are for setting one series to a line and one series to a column as displayed in the Bar line chart

Thanks again for you help and effort

------------

Frank Kwong Guest

In order to "mix" multiple chart types for different series, a customized applet is required. I'll offer some later on.

FK

------------
    H.Schuyler Collins at 5/4/01 5:26:33 PM

I now have the multi-series thing working for series that use that same display elements.

Where or what is the parameter for assigning different series to different graphic display elements as in the line/column example? I would ideally want to have 3 columns and a single line in the chart.
    I see what I think is the area in the documentation but am unclear how to apply it

For a Bar chart

For a line chart

the code lists types of arguments in the sequence of the series as it goes through the different parameters, I just am unable to determine where the paramters are for setting one series to a line and one series to a column as displayed in the Bar line chart

------------

OK, thank you very much.

I need to ask whether a customized applet is required for the chart types such as bar-line or bar area as displayed in the examples of chartytpes.
    IF not, can you give me a start in being able to create those types of combo charts which I am guessing are designed to plot for 2 series

Thank you again

------------
    Frank Kwong at 5/4/01 5:55:29 PM

In order to "mix" multiple chart types for different series, a customized applet is required. I'll offer some later on.

FK

------------

For a Bar chart

For a line chart

------------

frank kwong Guest

The barline and bararea you can use now by definign the type (dataset?type) of the set as "bar" or "area"

FK

------------
    H.Schuyler Collins III at 5/7/01 12:14:35 AM

OK, thank you very much.

I need to ask whether a customized applet is required for the chart types such as bar-line or bar area as displayed in the examples of chartytpes.
    IF not, can you give me a start in being able to create those types of combo charts which I am guessing are designed to plot for 2 series

Thank you again

------------

FK

------------

For a Bar chart

For a line chart

------------

H.Schuyler Collins Guest

OK thanks, I'll try it

------------
    frank kwong at 5/7/01 12:08:12 PM

The barline and bararea you can use now by definign the type (dataset?type) of the set as "bar" or "area"

FK

------------
    H.Schuyler Collins III at 5/7/01 12:14:35 AM

OK, thank you very much.

Thank you again

------------

FK

------------

For a Bar chart

For a line chart

------------