Thread: How do I get ASPdb to work once installed on NT? Tired!

Dean Reid Guest

How do I get ASPdb to work once installed on NT? Tired!

Folks:

I really need some help here. I have chewed up about 4 evenings to try and get the ASPdb files to work on my NT machine. By the way I have NT4.0

I installed the www.microsoft.com - WinNT 4.0 Option Pack - Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack (includes IIS 4.0)onto my NT machine - the server pack NOT the workstation.

Next I downloaded the recommended packages as indicated in the instructions in the same order:

#1 mdac_typ.exe
    #2 vbrun60sp3.exe
    #3 rs10ben.exe

I then installed the #5 ASPdbEval Full Install package (Enterprise) and followed the instructions - " The ASP-db install files are configured with the base directory set as ASPDB. Therefore, during unzip, set the "Unzip to folder" directory to your virtual root directory". I unzipped the files to the wwwroot directory. I followed the registration procedures as provided: Installing MTS

MTS Instructions (Win 98/NT):
    You can create a Package Component in the Microsoft Transaction Server with the MMC (Microsoft Management Console).
    1.Open Microsoft Transaction Server
    2.Open Computers
    3.Open My Computer (Note: If updating to a newer version of ASP-db, right click on My Computer and pick Shut Down.)
    4.Open Packages Installed
    5.Left Click on Packages Installed, then Right Click
    6.Choose NEW PACKAGE from the popup menu
    7.Click on Create an Empty Package
    8.Type in a name, such as ASP_Stuff
    9.Click Next then choose either Interactive or This User & FINISH.
    Note: For Windows NT Server installations, we recommend “This User”,
    otherwise, someone must be logged onto the server in order for ASP-db
    to run.
    10.Open up your "ASP_Stuff" package
    11.Left Click on Components, then Right Click on it and...
    12.Choose NEW COMPONENT
    13.Click on Install new component
    14.Click on Add Files and choose the ASPdb.dll file that you wish to register.
    15.Click the Finish button.

I then tried to copy one of the sample codes as recommended and pasted in Frontpage - next created an MS access database (in the same directory as the trial.asp file) called "testaccessdb" with the table name "Table1" and the field called "name". I then saved frontpage file as trial.asp. I next opened my microsoft explorer and then tried to open the trial.asp file and this took me directly to the frontpage editor. I also tried opening the trial.asp file in the "Transaction Server Explorer" and then went to InetPub and then wwwroot and then selected "all file type" and then the trial.asp file. I then get an error "The selected file is not a Microsoft Management Console document". Folks I am lost - any help at all would be appreciated. Truly frustrated.

I was thinking that if I was able to get the evaluation enterprise version to work for me that I would try the package out and then perhaps buy it.

This is the sample code that I tried.

file name - trial.asp

<HTML>
    <BODY>

Welcome to an ASP-db™ Test Page.<P>
    <%
    &#39; Create the ASP-db™ object:
    Set MyDb = Server.CreateObject(“ASP.db”)
    &#39; Use YourFile.mdb in the current directory:
    MyDb.dbMDB = Server.MapPath(&#34;testaccessdb.mdb&#34
    MyDb.dbColor = &#34;7&#34; &#39; Pick color scheme 7
    MyDb.dbMode = &#34;dual&#34; &#39; Want both Grid and Form
    MyDb.dbGridTableTag=&#34;BORDER=3&#34; &#39; Set table border=3
    &#39; Select which Table and Fields to show:
    MyDb.dbSQL = &#34;Select * name FROM Table1&#34;
    MyDb.ASPdb &#39; Show the Database now!
    %>

</BODY>
    </HTML>

I really need your help - Anybody. Tired and fatigued.

Frank Kwong Guest

How do I get ASPdb to work once installed on NT? Tired! (reply)

1. Download #7 also (Designer)
    2. Goto the site and look at documentation - www.aspdb.org/doc/designer
    3. Click Setup and Introduction

Setup the Designer and you do not have to work that hard. Forget about the test DBs. Load up NorthWind (DSN or DSNLess) or your own data files and you are on your way.

FK

------------
    Dean Reid at 3/30/01 12:23:48 AM

Folks:

I really need some help here. I have chewed up about 4 evenings to try and get the ASPdb files to work on my NT machine. By the way I have NT4.0

I installed the www.microsoft.com - WinNT 4.0 Option Pack - Windows NT 4.0 Option Pack (includes IIS 4.0)onto my NT machine - the server pack NOT the workstation.

Next I downloaded the recommended packages as indicated in the instructions in the same order:

#1 mdac_typ.exe
    #2 vbrun60sp3.exe
    #3 rs10ben.exe

I then installed the #5 ASPdbEval Full Install package (Enterprise) and followed the instructions - &#34; The ASP-db install files are configured with the base directory set as ASPDB. Therefore, during unzip, set the &#34;Unzip to folder&#34; directory to your virtual root directory&#34;. I unzipped the files to the wwwroot directory. I followed the registration procedures as provided: Installing MTS

You can create a Package Component in the Microsoft Transaction Server with the MMC (Microsoft Management Console).
    2.Open Computers
    3.Open My Computer (Note: If updating to a newer version of ASP-db, right click on My Computer and pick Shut Down.)
    to run.
    10.Open up your &#34;ASP_Stuff&#34; package
    12.Choose NEW COMPONENT

I then tried to copy one of the sample codes as recommended and pasted in Frontpage - next created an MS access database (in the same directory as the trial.asp file) called &#34;testaccessdb&#34; with the table name &#34;Table1&#34; and the field called &#34;name&#34;. I then saved frontpage file as trial.asp. I next opened my microsoft explorer and then tried to open the trial.asp file and this took me directly to the frontpage editor. I also tried opening the trial.asp file in the &#34;Transaction Server Explorer&#34; and then went to InetPub and then wwwroot and then selected &#34;all file type&#34; and then the trial.asp file. I then get an error &#34;The selected file is not a Microsoft Management Console document&#34;. Folks I am lost - any help at all would be appreciated. Truly frustrated.

I was thinking that if I was able to get the evaluation enterprise version to work for me that I would try the package out and then perhaps buy it.

file name - trial.asp

<HTML>
    <BODY>

<%
    %>

</BODY>
    </HTML>

Tim Davidge Guest

How do I get ASPdb to work once installed on NT? Tired! (reply)

Dean,

Fristly, One of the things you have to remember is that Frontpage gets very specific about that code it has not created itself, and when editing ASP pages in Frontpage it will cull your code severly if not tagged correctly. So, when you want to insert ASPdb code into a web page created with Frontpage you MUST always use the INSERT|HTML command. This protects the code internaly and Frontpage will not check it for validity, otherwise you will always have problems. You will find that it is better to start with a simple editor such as notepad or the likes, and that once you are happy with the result, pasting the finished code via INSERT|HTML command into the Frontpage Web.

I actually found the easiest way was to delete the file association *.asp from the Frontpage program and to associate this with notepad. Once you get used to editing the aspdb code manually, or via the designer, it&#39;s a simply process to add the end result to the Frontpage web when tested.

Regards,

Tim

------------
    Frank Kwong at 3/30/01 2:50:26 AM

1. Download #7 also (Designer)
    2. Goto the site and look at documentation - www.aspdb.org/doc/designer
    3. Click Setup and Introduction

Setup the Designer and you do not have to work that hard. Forget about the test DBs. Load up NorthWind (DSN or DSNLess) or your own data files and you are on your way.

FK

------------
    Dean Reid at 3/30/01 12:23:48 AM

Folks:

#1 mdac_typ.exe
    #2 vbrun60sp3.exe
    #3 rs10ben.exe

I then installed the #5 ASPdbEval Full Install package (Enterprise) and followed the instructions - &#34; The ASP-db install files are configured with the base directory set as ASPDB. Therefore, during unzip, set the &#34;Unzip to folder&#34; directory to your virtual root directory&#34;. I unzipped the files to the wwwroot directory. I followed the registration procedures as provided: Installing MTS

2.Open Computers
    to run.
    10.Open up your &#34;ASP_Stuff&#34; package
    12.Choose NEW COMPONENT

I then tried to copy one of the sample codes as recommended and pasted in Frontpage - next created an MS access database (in the same directory as the trial.asp file) called &#34;testaccessdb&#34; with the table name &#34;Table1&#34; and the field called &#34;name&#34;. I then saved frontpage file as trial.asp. I next opened my microsoft explorer and then tried to open the trial.asp file and this took me directly to the frontpage editor. I also tried opening the trial.asp file in the &#34;Transaction Server Explorer&#34; and then went to InetPub and then wwwroot and then selected &#34;all file type&#34; and then the trial.asp file. I then get an error &#34;The selected file is not a Microsoft Management Console document&#34;. Folks I am lost - any help at all would be appreciated. Truly frustrated.

file name - trial.asp

<HTML>
    <BODY>

<%
    %>

</BODY>
    </HTML>