Thread: Poor Performance on New Server

Ted Moore Guest

Poor Performance on New Server

Dear Forum,

We recently moved one of our busiest and most data intensive sites to a dedicated server (with other clint sites). We immediately noticed a drastic decline in performance.

I have spent several days, splitting up the busiest database into three smaller dbs. Additionally, I have gone back through many of our pages simplifying the queries or displaying data from queries within Access.

On the Shared server, we didn't see it bog down until we saw over 200 sessions per hour, now it craps out at less than a third of that traffic.

We are on a 2000 server with 512K RAM. Using Universal version
    ASPDB2001.02.21.SP#.ADO21.MTS.Std

Any suggestions for improving performance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Ted Moore

Frank Kwong Guest

Poor Performance on New Server (reply)

200 sessions per HOUR (or you mean per second) ? This is nothing. Our tests is in the neighborhood of 40 concurrent session per second and the first byte respond time is about 1.5 second.

FK

------------
    Ted Moore at 3/29/01 1:06:05 PM

Dear Forum,

We recently moved one of our busiest and most data intensive sites to a dedicated server (with other clint sites). We immediately noticed a drastic decline in performance.

I have spent several days, splitting up the busiest database into three smaller dbs. Additionally, I have gone back through many of our pages simplifying the queries or displaying data from queries within Access.

On the Shared server, we didn't see it bog down until we saw over 200 sessions per hour, now it craps out at less than a third of that traffic.

Any suggestions for improving performance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Ted Moore

Ted Moore Guest

Frank,

We see on the order of 50 to 75 CONCURRENT sessions during busy periods. Since moving to the new server we are experiencing slow performance and up to 50% page view errors, with the bulk of the errors being "Script Time Outs".

I am personally very frustrated, because my data administration pages are almost impossible to open. For the entire site, our page views and kilobytes per session statistics have been cut in half.

What can I look at on the server to troubleshoot this problem? I want to emphasize this is the same site that worked just fine on a very busy shared server. ( www.heminet.com )
    Thanks in advance for your assistance - Ted

------------
    Frank Kwong at 3/30/01 9:07:26 PM

200 sessions per HOUR (or you mean per second) ? This is nothing. Our tests is in the neighborhood of 40 concurrent session per second and the first byte respond time is about 1.5 second.

FK

------------

Dear Forum,

Frank Kwong Guest

You mean the same app works on the shared server (ASPdbPro) and functions poorly in your own setup (ASPdbPro) ? Is it a W2K server on your own site or NT4 ? The MTS is noticably slower when package setup as server compare to library in W2K. Can you setup an identical environment to compare as for NT/W2K and ASPdbPro/ASPdb???.

How big is your app (DB and ASP-db Code) ?

FK

------------
    Ted Moore at 4/1/01 12:48:29 PM

Frank,

We see on the order of 50 to 75 CONCURRENT sessions during busy periods. Since moving to the new server we are experiencing slow performance and up to 50% page view errors, with the bulk of the errors being "Script Time Outs".

I am personally very frustrated, because my data administration pages are almost impossible to open. For the entire site, our page views and kilobytes per session statistics have been cut in half.

What can I look at on the server to troubleshoot this problem? I want to emphasize this is the same site that worked just fine on a very busy shared server. ( www.heminet.com )
    Thanks in advance for your assistance - Ted

------------
    Frank Kwong at 3/30/01 9:07:26 PM

FK

------------

Dear Forum,