Thread: ASP-DB component authentication

Jeff Guest

ASP-DB component authentication

I have a server with ASP-db Enterprise installed.. Recently the individual whom set the server up and installed the product quit. The users NT account was disabled.

Now authentication errors appear in different asp sites using ASP-db.

snip------------------------

Server object error 'ASP 0177 : 8000401a'

Server.CreateObject Failed

/job_listings.asp, line 122

The server process could not be started because the configured identity is incorrect. Check the username and password.
    -----------------------------

The user was a members of the administrator group and probably installed the component as his user id. The question here is how to change the user ID this component uses to run as? I can't locate any documentation that covers the issue so I am looking for a little help here.

Enabling the account is really not an option. Thanks in advance

John Guest

ASP-DB component authentication (reply)

Hi Jeff,

No problem! Go into MTS (Microsoft Transaction Server), and locate the application package that has the ASP-db dll in it. Right-click on it and look at the Identity tab. It probably has "This User" checked, and the account name for the disabled user is in there.

Now, either replace that with a current system administrator, or change it to Interactive User - which will work as long as an administrator has logged onto the Server's system (it's not sitting at the "login prompt&#34.

Alternatively, you can go to the Activation tab, and change the package from a Server Application to a Library Application. This will "gray out" the buttons on the Identification tab as the dll will now run in the IIS Library process thread. This results in much faster load times but is less convenient for restarting the application, or for limiting its security.

Hope this helps!

John

------------
    Jeff at 9/9/2002 3:57:41 PM

I have a server with ASP-db Enterprise installed.. Recently the individual whom set the server up and installed the product quit. The users NT account was disabled.

The server process could not be started because the configured identity is incorrect. Check the username and password.

The user was a members of the administrator group and probably installed the component as his user id. The question here is how to change the user ID this component uses to run as? I can't locate any documentation that covers the issue so I am looking for a little help here.

Jeff Guest

ASP-DB component authentication (reply)

Joh, thanks for the direction. I located the setting by viewing the properties of the ASP_Components in the MS Component Services Manager. The reference was there and changed to a new account set up for ASPdb.

So that fixed the authentication issue.

However it leaves me with the question of security. My concern is that the new account I created had to be a member of the admin group in order for the applications using ASPdb to work. I would like to lock that down so that the account only has the permissions necessary to access what is defined in code .. What is the best way to implement security when using ASPdb?

In our model .. I have multiple virtual webs. Some leverage asp and use ASPdb.

Would my concerns be better addressed with TORNADO?

------------
    John at 9/10/2002 12:17:37 PM

Hi Jeff,

No problem! Go into MTS (Microsoft Transaction Server), and locate the application package that has the ASP-db dll in it. Right-click on it and look at the Identity tab. It probably has "This User" checked, and the account name for the disabled user is in there.

Now, either replace that with a current system administrator, or change it to Interactive User - which will work as long as an administrator has logged onto the Server's system (it's not sitting at the "login prompt&#34.

Alternatively, you can go to the Activation tab, and change the package from a Server Application to a Library Application. This will "gray out" the buttons on the Identification tab as the dll will now run in the IIS Library process thread. This results in much faster load times but is less convenient for restarting the application, or for limiting its security.

Hope this helps!

John

------------
    Jeff at 9/9/2002 3:57:41 PM