Thread: 6.5 performance degrades and need to restart - help !!!

elias tauscher Guest

6.5 performance degrades and need to restart - help !!!

We are using NT 4.0 + 6.5 + Microfocus Netexpress

After the server is booted, our application flies.

After some days ( 1 to 3), the performance starts to degrade until it reaches an unbearable sluggishness. Teh degradation is not continuous, but it shows with time spans (which vary from 1 to 5 hours) during which everything is unacceptably slow. This time spans are usually longer each time they present themselves. There are no errors and if given the time (unacceptable) every workstation finishes its tasks properly.

If we stop the server and reboot it, everything comes back to the initial excellent performance and the cycle of degradation starts over again.

The hardware is excellent and we have checked almost everything that came into our minds, with no results.

Does anyone have any previous similar experiences ?
    Does anyone have any ideas on where we should focus our search ?

We are migrating the application into 7.0 but I am afraid that our nightmares might continue

I would appreciate all the advice you could give me. Thank you

Elias

Sonia Guest

6.5 performance degrades and need to restart - help !!! (reply)

Hi Elias,
    SMS is used by NT Administrators to take control of your workstation/server remotely. For some reason this process was crippling the server. We removed SMS and it was ok.
    The other thought Iv'e had is whether youv'e configured the server to priority boost (check sp_configure). You usually get accompanying 'Virtual Memory Errors' if this has been set too high.

Good luck

Sonia

------------
    elias tauscher at 12/6/00 2:10:43 PM

Excuse my ignorance, but what is a rogue SMS process ?

Thanks. Elias

------------
    Soniab at 12/6/00 12:06:44 PM

If your'e running NT 4 have you tried seeing what process is using up the CPU when it is running and what the performance figures are. I have had a similar problem with a rogue SMS process which killed the server by using upto 90% of the processor.

Sonia

------------
    elias tauscher at 12/6/00 5:39:01 AM

We are using NT 4.0 + 6.5 + Microfocus Netexpress

After the server is booted, our application flies.

After some days ( 1 to 3), the performance starts to degrade until it reaches an unbearable sluggishness. Teh degradation is not continuous, but it shows with time spans (which vary from 1 to 5 hours) during which everything is unacceptably slow. This time spans are usually longer each time they present themselves. There are no errors and if given the time (unacceptable) every workstation finishes its tasks properly.

If we stop the server and reboot it, everything comes back to the initial excellent performance and the cycle of degradation starts over again.

The hardware is excellent and we have checked almost everything that came into our minds, with no results.

Does anyone have any previous similar experiences ?
    Does anyone have any ideas on where we should focus our search ?

We are migrating the application into 7.0 but I am afraid that our nightmares might continue

I would appreciate all the advice you could give me. Thank you

Elias