Thread: Problem using asp-db with Frontpage98 on Win 98/PWS4/MTS

Helmut Ott Guest

Problem using asp-db with Frontpage98 on Win 98/PWS4/MTS

I am trying to use asp-db with Frontpage98 on Win 98/PWS4/MTS. I copied some of the example-pages/cutted&pasted some asp-db-code. the more simple work, others dont.
    I saved the pages as ".asp" and and locally published them using ie4. I takes pretty long until the pages are displayed, and often you cant tell why oviously the same code works in one file and not in another.
    PLUS: When using asp-db the system or at least frontpafge editor freezes after a page was published/previewed to see if the asp-db-code of the page works. After that you better restart your system.

Can you recommend any other editor than frontpage as for editing and testing the pages. Netscape composer i.e. does not accept .asp - files.

Helmut

John Guest

Problem using asp-db with Frontpage98 on Win 98/PWS4/MTS (reply)

Hi Helmut,

Yes, FrontPage *can* get in the way since it tends to "take over" the ASP pages and thinks it "owns" them. It`s not really designed to work with a component where you`re writing your own ASP source code. Rather it wants to be a GUI interface that does everything.

Obviously Notepad would work, but that`s pretty limited. If you have the newer versions of Visual Studio, it does a very good job of editing text files (HTML, ASP, etc.). It`s full search/replace, macros, etc. work very well.

Internally, we use Web Director which we wrote. You can find out more about it at www.majormicro.com.

Take care,
    John

On 9/18/98 5:34:19 AM, Helmut Ott wrote:
    > I am trying to use asp-db with Frontpage98 on Win 98/PWS4/MTS. I copied
    > some of the example-pages/cutted&pasted some asp-db-code. the more simple
    > work, others dont.
    I saved the pages as ".asp" and and locally published
    > them using ie4. I takes pretty long until the pages are displayed, and
    > often you cant tell why oviously the same code works in one file and not in
    > another.
    PLUS: When using asp-db the system or at least frontpafge editor
    > freezes after a page was published/previewed to see if the asp-db-code of
    > the page works. After that you better restart your system.

Can you
    > recommend any other editor than frontpage as for editing and testing the
    > pages. Netscape composer i.e. does not accept .asp - files.

Helmut